UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2015, 1:15 pm   #41
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: A valve chess set?

Very good, Simon. Brought a large smile to my face!

Al.
Old 4th Nov 2015, 1:25 pm   #42
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The US ~Arcturus~ company produced a set of metal valves in the 1930s that were known as "Coronets" because of the way the base pressing was formed.

Could these perhaps be used for the King and Queen?
Old 4th Nov 2015, 9:26 pm   #43
Biggles
Rest in Peace

If the valves heaters were powered up, would you then need to wear gloves to prevent burns when playing? Octal signal valves would probably be ok, but power valves may get a little too warm to handle, even with no HT applied.
Alan.
Old 6th Nov 2015, 1:11 pm   #44
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

A chap I used to work with and still speak to occasionally told me over 10 years ago about all his boxes of assorted new cv valves stored in his attic specially for use in a chess set to be made one day.
He is ex RAF comms and "rescued" them from a skip. He is not a bit interested in valves or electronics and will not part with them. He just said he would not sell them to me, or anyone else! He is aware of my interest and as far as I know he still has them.
Such a waste!
Rob
Old 13th Nov 2015, 1:13 pm   #45
Herald1360
Dekatron

Watched a random Youtube video last night about a communications museum somewhere in the States. One of the display items was a chess set with various different old tubes mounted on wooden pucks as pieces.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Nov 2015, 1:52 pm   #46
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
He is not a bit interested in valves or electronics and will not part with them. He just said he would not sell them to me, or anyone else! He is aware of my interest and as far as I know he still has them.
If there are any "audiophile" equivalent types present, he could be denying himself a considerable dollop of money! Even sparing the commoners for a chess-set. That much over-/mis-used phrase "mil-spec" (something near-guaranteed to make my eyes glaze over) can bring something of a premium.
Closed Thread