UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2015, 10:47 am   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Solar panel mains interference

This has probably been mooted before. Pursuing my now hobby of repairing vintage radios, I have noticed the terrific amount of noise coming from the mains, and have pinpointed it to solar panels. During the day it is almost impossible to receive anything on any AM without an overwhelming buzz (this is on mains receivers). During darkness, perfect reception. The other day our neighbour's panels packed up and reception was good again, until repair was carried out. Now we are back to the buzz again, has anyone else had this problem?
John
Old 14th Nov 2015, 12:09 pm   #2
trobbins
Heptode

Default Re: Solar panel mains interference

Are you saying that a battery powered AM receiver has no problems - just a mains powered AM receiver?

Or are you saying that any AM receiver is having a problem due to noise presumably radiated from AC mains wiring (which is connecting a PV inverter to the grid). If so, then is the noise direction localisable to the PV modules on your neighbours roof, or the AC mains wiring going to the PV inverter?
Old 14th Nov 2015, 1:02 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The PV modules produce DC. They are wired to a grid-synchronous inverter; which converts the DC from the panels to AC with its crests and troughs lined up perfectly with the mains, so you can actually supply power into the distribution grid. My inverter is installed in the loft, so the DC wiring is as short as possible, but some installations have the inverter close to the consumer unit.

Anyway, there's an easy fix Simply tell the householder in question that if energy is coming out in the form of RF interference, it's not going through their generation meter, and as a consequence their FiT payments will be reduced .....
Old 14th Nov 2015, 1:11 pm   #4
jonnybear
Octode

The noise is not so noticeable with a battery powered radio, it does not seem to be directional, it is so loud on L/M bands that speech or music during the day is impossible, at night it is fine.
John
Old 14th Nov 2015, 6:10 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The equipment associated with a solar panel can radiate from MF to VHF. I would not be surprised if it puts stuff on the mains too.

The noise floor on national FM is raised here on sunny days. Even worse on local FM stations.
Old 14th Nov 2015, 9:08 pm   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Some nearby houses do have solar panels on their south facing roofs but thankfully I don't suffer any interference from them. Do these in errors have filters fitted to the input and output and are they in screened cases?
I an suffering a new type of mains born interference which effects the upper end of the medium wave band night and day. Using a small portable radio I have tracked the noise down to the incoming u/g mains cable, the investigation continues.

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 14th Nov 2015 at 9:15 pm. Reason: Grammar reasons
Old 15th Nov 2015, 5:07 am   #7
trobbins
Heptode

The PV modules are typically connected in series and the dc cell circuit is isolated from earth - they would certainly make a good antenna for mppt switch mode noise. However the pvinverters are all compliant to standards, so I can't see much chance of formally complaining, whether it is radiation from mains cabling, or from the DC external loop.
Old 15th Nov 2015, 9:24 am   #8
mole42uk
Nonode

Some solar installations use mains-bourne communications for their monitoring. Others use inexpensive inverters which produce high levels of THD on the outgoing sine wave.
Your interference is unlikely to be associated with the DC wiring unless there's a bad connection somewhere. If the system uses micro-inverters (one per panel) then the associated mains THD might be higher than usual.
Best practise is to run positive and negative cables parallel and close to each other to prevent them becoming a loop antenna, MCS accredited installers should have checked this as a matter of course.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 15th Nov 2015, 9:38 am   #9
davidw
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobbins View Post
However the pvinverters are all compliant to standards,
May be so in Australia, but not according to UKQRM ..about halfway down the page.

http://www.ukqrm.org.uk/misc.php
Closed Thread