UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2019, 4:52 pm   #1
radiozero
Hexode

Default Dead Sony KV-21FV1U Combi TV

Hi. I'm not sure if this CRT set qualifies as a vintage set or not. Apologies if posting this is not quite kosher. Last used it was working. Gave to a friend who had it stored for years. Now it's completely dead. It's been dropped because top left hand corner shows signs of stress. Remote not working, but I've just bought a working one that I should receive in a few days.

There is a push switch bottom and to the right. It does not lock in. I wonder, does anyone know of this switch is suppossed to lock in? Any known typical faults that occur? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm almost cannot be bothered repairing this set. So, I may offer it for sale as non working. Would be a pickup job for a buyer.

Last edited by radiozero; 29th May 2019 at 4:57 pm.
Old 29th May 2019, 4:58 pm   #2
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: Dead Sony KV-21FV1U Combi TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiozero View Post
Hi. I'm not sure if this CRT set qualifies as a vintage set or not. Apologies if posting this is not quite kosher. Last used it was working. Gave to a friend who had it stored for years. Now it's completely dead. It's been dropped because top left hand corner shows signs of stress. Remote not working, but I've just bought a working one that I should receive in a few days.

There is a push switch bottom and to the right. It does not lock in. I wonder, does anyone know of this switch is suppossed to lock in? Any known typical faults that occur? Thanks.
Whether the switch locks or not, depends on the age of the set.
On the earlier sets, it was the master mains switch, so that all power was removed when it was unlocked.
Old 29th May 2019, 5:23 pm   #3
radiozero
Hexode

Ok, I got off my butt and took the back cover off. I see that that square button at bottom left is not a mechanical latch type. The actual switch behind the button is a simple (and very small) press switch, like you might find on a remote control. Press it in and contacts will close, until you let go and contacts will open. So, any latching will be of an electronic nature. I am assuming that when that square button is pressed, the TV is supposed to come on, with a picture showing on the screen (or "white noise").
Old 29th May 2019, 5:33 pm   #4
radiozero
Hexode

Aah. There is a power switch that latches in on a push and that latch releases when pressed again. That is a push switch has a round knob to it. It's bottom right position. When I press that in, the TV gets power. And I can see that because a little red light comes on near the push switch with a square knob. I think the TV should come on when I push that square knob. But TV is dead.
Old 29th May 2019, 5:45 pm   #5
radiozero
Hexode

OK I've solved the issues which were. a) I did not realise that turning this TV on was a two part operation, turn on mains master switch (bottom left), then press on/off switch (bottom right). b) when you slacken those screws holding in the circuit board assmbly, when finished messing, make sure that the assembly is "home", otherwise pressing the on/off switch won't actually do anything because the switch fails to get pushed in.

So, I have a working KV-21FV1U, tape section works as well. I may offer it for sale. Probably will. Rich

Last edited by radiozero; 29th May 2019 at 5:54 pm.
Closed Thread