UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2019, 8:29 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default A New "Angle"

Just watching an episode of Salvage Hunters-Restorers on Quest where Jolene restores an Anglepoise Lamp [Ex WW2 from an aircraft] fitting it with a 12v supply in the process. Apparently there was also an Anglepoise expert involved but I was late to the party!
Dave W
Old 27th Apr 2019, 10:58 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: A New "Angle"

Examples of the Anglepoise lamp fitted on the Navigator's table in the Avro Lancaster (and doubtless other aircraft), whilst not particularly rare, change hands for quite high prices these days. Note the small shade and the dimmer rheostat. (This has to be the correct one for operation on 12v or 24v). Converting one to anything other than original would be a mistake in my view.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C-1079 Lamps Chartboard Terry Angle-poise pic 3.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	181927  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 11:06 am   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I think yer man "Drew" paid £170 for a "box of bits" that he suggested was a bit of a gamble but I don't think I've ever seen him lose yet

Dave
Old 28th Apr 2019, 3:04 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember identical lamps - powered from a 12V transformer with rheostat for brightness-control - were commonplace in University biology labs in the 1970s, where they were used for microscopy and dissection practical work.

The ones I remember using had the outer 'hood' round the bulb painted green and the support-tubes light grey. Anyone got an old Griffin&George catalog?
Old 1st May 2019, 3:22 pm   #5
avocollector
Heptode

Hmm back in the late 60's I had an old 'ekwiepoz' mains lamp for my microscope - some missing bits replaced by meccano curved plates. Worked very well if very warm after a while. I still have the same lamp here somewhere - somewhere have not seen it in decades.
Closed Thread