UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2023, 3:36 pm   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: PP9 Batteries

Somewhere I have a Pifco lantern-type torch that uses one. I also find them quite useful for providing 6V or 12V (two in series) for manual exchange equipment, though that's hardly mainstream! Even less mainstream is removing the plastic casing and using the individual cells to re-stuff old field telephone batteries.
Old 28th Jul 2023, 6:11 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Those 996 batteries are used in some electric fence units,and also more relevant to the Forum , the likes of the Roberts R707 - though my 707 has been reworked to take a 12V 4.5A SLA battery which lasts a few weeks between recharges.
Old 28th Jul 2023, 7:41 pm   #23
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I last bought a pair of 996s a year or two back on our flea market, to give a Decca TP22 and TT33 some exercise - the first Decca transistor set, in portable and table versions, using a pair of the batteries as does the R707. Philips' portable slot record player uses a 996 too, but, yes, none of these will be found in many households in 2023.

Paul
Old 29th Jul 2023, 8:11 am   #24
wireless_john
Heptode

I've given up buying them now, they're so difficult to get hold of, not to mention the expense. I've removed the innards of a few and replaced them with a battery holder that takes 6 x AA batteries. I find that 12 x Kodak alkaline AA batteries from Poundland lasts for ages in my two Hackers.

John

Last edited by wireless_john; 29th Jul 2023 at 8:35 am. Reason: typo
Old 29th Jul 2023, 12:21 pm   #25
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've heard 2 PP3s connected in parallel are a suitable substitute.
Old 29th Jul 2023, 12:33 pm   #26
Reelman
Octode

I notice that “C” & “D” cells seem to be getting rarer on the shelves as well.

Peter
Old 29th Jul 2023, 5:49 pm   #27
wireless_john
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
If you use battery holders inside the PP9 shells that connect with a PP3 style connector, you then have the choice of using 6 x AA in each one or a PP3.

John
Old 29th Jul 2023, 9:50 pm   #28
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
If you use battery holders inside the PP9 shells that connect with a PP3 style connector, you then have the choice of using 6 x AA in each one or a PP3.

John
Yes that's right, thanks for letting me know.
Old 1st Aug 2023, 9:53 pm   #29
Techman
Dekatron

Lincoln Wilco had them in stock when I was last in there a week ago today. I don't really need any as I usually fit 'AA' cells inside them when they run down, but did buy one seeing as they're on offer - it'll make another one to fit AAs into when it's run out.
Old 1st Aug 2023, 10:53 pm   #30
McMurdo
Dekatron

CPC show the PP6,PP8 and PP9 in stock althoug the first two are somewhat pricey. (listed as suitable for vintage radios )
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 6:02 pm   #31
winston_1
Heptode

Read on the BBC News that Wilko may go into administration soon. Better stock up while you can.
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 6:57 pm   #32
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Read on the BBC News that Wilko may go into administration soon. Better stock up while you can.

Or wait until the Receivers implement an 'anything goes, we need to be out of here by Saturday' clearance sale so that they can hand back the leases to the landlords without any legacy stock on premises...
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 7:20 pm   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
That’s really sad. Definitely the most useful high street shop for me. I’ve noticed that swathes of stuff has been out of stock for months which made me suspicious.
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 8:04 pm   #34
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Wilko had one of their biggest credit guarantee insurance providers delist them a while back, meaning that suppliers imposed severe limits on the amount of goods that they would supply up front without payment.

That's pretty much the death knell for a high turnover business like Wilko, they need to have a credit line with suppliers.

Same happened with Maplin, once word gets round that you are derated as a credit risk your suppliers start demanding cash up front payment. Which if you already have a liquidity problem just makes it worse.
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 8:54 pm   #35
andrewn
Pentode

Halfords sell PP9 batteries. I noticed they had some in my local store. https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-ch...tory=undefined
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 8:58 pm   #36
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Wilko may go into administration soon.
Yes, I heard this bad news earlier today!

Only three shops worth going into Lincoln for (in no particular order) Wilco, Poundland and J. Birkett!
Old 4th Aug 2023, 8:07 am   #37
Stuart R
Heptode

For the whole time this thread's been running, the two Wilkinsons nearest to me have only kept one PP9 on their shelves, priced at £4.00. They have probably sat there for months.

When I visited yesterday, my local store has finally marked them down to £2.50. Of course the battery has gone!

I've got a 1970s copy of Practical Electronics where a PP9 was dismantled and rebuilt with a small transformer inside to be used as a battery eliminator, so maybe it's worth keeping a few dead ones?

Wilkinson's was my go-to shop on most visits to town, but has become less useful over the last couple of years: I'd always pop in for 12V bulbs, much cheaper than buying emergency ones from a petrol station and they were 'Ring' branded. They no longer sell these bulbs, but the space has been filled with novelty air-fresheners in a wide range of colours(!)

The hardware pick-and-mix was completely empty yesterday.

Shame.

SR
Old 4th Aug 2023, 9:29 am   #38
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Their tools were also excellent value for money. In particular, I have a little scraper which has proven invaluable and indestructible, and some tack removers which are great for removing clock hands.

When Wilko have been out of stock recently, I've gone to Robert Dyas, but the prices are frequently literally double.
Old 4th Aug 2023, 9:56 am   #39
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I was in the local Wilko 2 hours before the news broke. They did not have either of the two items I wanted. As above, I would be very sorry to see them go, but if you asked how much I spend in there in a year, it's peanuts. I'm 7 miles outside of town, and use online so very much. Got next-day delivery by FedEx free on a £26 item this week - would not have got the same item in town at that price Usually get my 9V's in Poundland, for better of for worse.

B
Old 8th Aug 2023, 3:23 pm   #40
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Can we stick to sources of PP9 batteries and alternative options, rather than the possible sad demise of Wilko, please.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread