UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2006, 8:08 pm   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default Belling Lee Metropolitan (aerial)

While having a clear out I found this that I didn't know I owned.
Can anyone tell me anything about it?

It looks like it might be a priceless VHF TV aerial - but it is a bit more than a simple telescopic aerial as it has a 12 position switch that selects various coils.

Is it useful for anything?
If it isn't useful to me, do you want one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BellingMet.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	4542  
Old 13th Jul 2006, 8:21 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling Lee Metropolitan (aerial)

Hello,
The Belling Lee 'Metropolitan' room aerial was about the best you could get from an indoor aerial in the 405 days. Belling Lee were a highly respected company, manufacturing television aerials from the pre war days to around 1975. They also pioneered the co-ax plug together with a huge range of electrical connectors and accessories.
The Metropolitan with its loading coils matched the signal received on the rods to the receiver and worked well. It was an expensive item for the times compared with the 'Vantenna' and was only usually found in 'up market homes'.........It worked best in the 'Meltropolitan' areas of high signal strength. Not worth much today but an interesting addition to a vintage telly collection. Regards John.
Old 13th Jul 2006, 8:34 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Unfortunately I suspect the main interest now will be the red tips from the aerials for replacing those on Bush VTR103 radios.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Jul 2006, 10:45 pm   #4
Steve_McVoy
Pentode

By coincidence, we just published a 1939 Belling Lee antenna advertisement:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/antennas.html#h
Old 14th Jul 2006, 9:26 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

Does anyone have a date for it?

Does anyone have any performance information?

Do you think it might outperform wet string for DAB reception (or any other modern use)?
Old 14th Jul 2006, 5:49 pm   #6
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Might still be useful in Europe, Asia or the Americas, where VHF stations are still broadcasting (Channels 2-13 in the NTSC countries).

You can also use it for a local FM radio antenna. I've done so with my stereo and a pair of such rabbit ears before.

Does the dial on the base actually DO anything? It never did on all the ones I see around here for sale.
Old 14th Jul 2006, 5:53 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

As I said above, it has a 12 way switch which switches a load of loading coils around, so yes it does something. I haven't measured what effect it has yet.
Old 14th Jul 2006, 7:11 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I believe it dates from around 1962. The loading coils came into their own when the aerial was used with the Thorn 850 chassis that suffered from instability on band one channel one on the standard indoor aerial. The sound carrier [41.5mc/s] was very close to the i.f. [38.15mc/s] and the R.F. stage in the tuner, a neutralised triode tended to burst into oscillation at the slightest excuse. This Metropolitan aerial loaded the input somewhat and prevented this. The switch also reduced the band 1 gain in very strong signal areas. It did serve a purpose. No substitute for a loft aerial of course but about the next best thing in the early 60's especially if you lived in a flat. Regards John.
Closed Thread