UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:21 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Is there any interest in old VCRs

Hi All,

This isnt a veiled sales pitch, more an investigation - I have become aware of a moderate quantity of VCRs - both Betamax, and VHS, some top loaders, some front loaders.

Best description would be all fit for restoration.

Im not going to remove them from where they are if there is little or no interest in them, but what do the assembled experts here think - are they worth saving and passing onto collectors, or do I let them all go for WEEE recycling?
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:59 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Is there any interest in old VCRs

I'm not sure I'd call myself an expert but I could certainly see a demand for recorders at the higher quality end of the market for those of us who do transfers from video tape to computer.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:10 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I would say that there is very little demand for VHS machines at the moment. They have not yet become collectible, rather like valve radios in the early 70s, and supply hugely exceeds demand.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:37 pm   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

I think 40 years later VHS has proved itself to be a very durable tape format that in some cases now responds better than some pro formats of it's day, and the vast amount of VHS tape that was bought means somebody somewhere will always need a player.

Betamax tape IMHO has not stood the test of time like VHS, but obviously there will be good examples around and with the first camcorders being Betamax means there will be a few home movies around that somebody needs to convert, as well as some rare examples of TV recorded on them. Avoid models like the Sony C5 and Sony C7.They look attractive but inside most of them are complete basket cases now.Second generation 5000 series Sanyos are worth keeping as they are lighter weight and spares are around..and also the tank like Sony C6.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 15th Sep 2018 at 11:50 pm.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:09 am   #5
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Sean,
Despite some of the negative answers given so far
There certainly seems to be a demand for Beta machines just going by posts on here alone.
The VHS question is a little harder to gauge, it depends largely upon the age, some of the early VHS machines seems to have some sort of following, and although these machines certainly won't command significantly high prices they probably will probably attract some attention.
Just my two pennorth
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:25 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

They will move on at a leisurely pace even if only for spares.
They sell them untested for a fiver at our local flea market.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:29 am   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

There are some interesting projects that can be made from old VCR parts. I might have bought one or two had they been closer to where I leave if the owner is throwing them away.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 3:09 am   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

Most if not all will have a useful UHF modulator. VHS tapes can also be played on S-VHS
recorders, which are worth retaining as a useful recording alternative to DVD.
To extend this, it's worth having a working Hi-8 camcorder, as these also play Video 8
tapes, both these were popular formats - excellent quality transfers can be made.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 7:25 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quite simply, there are collectors of all video formats and all models within those formats. As a former collector restorer myself, I have been, and am in the process of passing my stuff on to others and that's how I know, I meet and come across them all the time. I won't say that vintage video is huge, but for sure, like all aspects of vintage sound and vision, there are a fair few devotees, they're just not so visible or vocal as the more popular sectors of the hobby.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 8:07 am   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I think it's more about retrieving recorded material now - there may be more stuff out there on tape than there are head hours to play it - such is acknowledged to be the case with DAT - so there should be a place for anything with useful life left in it.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:43 am   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
I think it's more about retrieving recorded material now - there may be more stuff out there on tape than there are head hours to play it - such is acknowledged to be the case with DAT - so there should be a place for anything with useful life left in it.
That's true Ted. There are a lot of people now spending hours viewing old video tapes looking for 'lost' TV episodes, newscasts, etc etc. And yes, they need old format video machines (and spares) and a never ending supply of pre-used tapes.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:50 am   #12
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have about half a dozen working (or at least they were when I put them there) VCRs in my workshop, they are from my last rentals, mostly cheapies. I will have to test them one of these days.

Peter
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:10 pm   #13
electronicskip
Nonode

Well I would certainly try and save a Ferguson 3V00/3V16 Machine if any of those ever came my way,as there must be precious few around anymore?
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:25 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I have about half a dozen working (or at least they were when I put them there) VCRs in my workshop, they are from my last rentals, mostly cheapies. I will have to test them one of these days.

Peter
Not being negative (well I suppose I am?!) but I would doubt if they work now. I've found video machines to be the worst of all audio/video equipments for poor longevity and performance without maintenance or use. Rubber belts, idlers, grease going hard, dust accumulation, hundreds of electrolytics, small switches with sponge innards failing, lack of lubrication, corroded connections on ribbon cables etc etc. They're a nightmare basically!
Old 16th Sep 2018, 3:43 pm   #15
ben
Dekatron

I think the desirable ones fall into two categories:
- high end /stereo /hifi models from circa 1988 to the late 1990s
- 'classic' era kit such as the top loaders, early silver frontloaders etc.

I would certainly not get rid of these as they are relatively scarce.

There have been recent articles in the press about VHS fanatics. Like the guy in Liverpool with an old-style rental shop - they also rent out video players! I have also seen charity shops selling VHS tapes again. So there is interest.

The more ubiquitous and low value units are probably the average centre-load budget 2- head mono machines from the 90s and beyond - stuff like Matsui, Alba, Proline, Saisho, Funai, Daewoo, Orion, Amstrad, Aiwa, SEG, Hinari, etc. I can't imagine many people wanting to invest time in sourcing parts for what were basically supermarket specials in their day.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 5:52 pm   #16
dsergeant
Octode

We are rapidly finding that spares for many VCRs are simply now not available. The gear assembly that cracks in late model Panasonics for instance. And since you mention Funai, they claim that they were the last VCR manufacturer, which may be true, but because of their method of construction, ie everything joined by soldered in ribbon cables, and poor reliability, these are not even repairable. I have just had a couple of VCRs come in for repair, I see one is a Funai so I may choose not even to take the cover off...

There is clearly still an interest in VCRs for playing back of archive material but since none of them have digital TV receivers I suspect nobody uses them for recording nowadays. The VCR section of DVD/VCR combi models is also probably never used by most.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 6:48 pm   #17
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Ok, thanks for the replies.

I will see what is available then, and what might be worth salvaging - sounds like anything silver or top loading would be a good start!
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:46 am   #18
Studio263
Octode

I've been wondering which VHS machines to look out for decent examples of, while there are still plenty about. Beta and V2000 seem to have their own followings, but VHS is still too ubiquitous - people think they will be around for ever!

How about:

JVC: HR-3300EK (first UK VHS), HR-7700 (or preferably the 3V23, which is much nicer looking)
Panasonic: NV-333, NV-7200, NV-730, NV-777 / 788, NV-850 (first hi-fi VHS), NV-G10 (nice because it DOESN'T use the G deck!)
Hitachi: VT-8000 series, VT-9000 series, VT-11, B&O VHS90, VHS91 / 91.2, VX range (all made by Hitachi)
Sony: SLV-715, SLV-815
Philips: VR-6460, VR-6560 (first all-Philips VHS machine)

Have I missed any more good 'uns?
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:13 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

Sony SLV-777
Panasonic AG series (svhs edit gear)
Panasonic NV-D80 (first digital effects and hifi)
Hitachi VT8 (portapak which slots into a mains /tuner module!)
multi standard units
A Philips 'charlie'
That Sharp one with the talking remote!
Grundig VS-180, VS-220 (full electronic direct drive transports, sort of vhs-v2000 hybrid)
Amstrad double decker!

Those are just a few from my collection (barring the AG series)
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:36 pm   #20
martin.m
Hexode

The Sony "smart engine" models SLV-SE 720 etc from the early 2000s. I bought one last year to play my "Tom and Jerry" tapes on.
Closed Thread