UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2006, 4:59 pm   #1
harvestgold
Hexode

Default Vega 542 Frame Hold Slipping etc.

Hi all,

I dragged my little "Camping Telly" out of the store room this week to take on holiday with me. It is a little Soviet Vega 542 model which I have had for a good few years now and is ideal for camping as it draws only 500mA or so from a 12v Sealed Lead Acid battery, and gives a great picture.

Unfortunately following its period of disuse, it now has a fault whereby the vertical hold control will not lock the frame. The control decreases the rolling if increased, but as I say, it will not lock. I have had a look for dry joints etc and all seems OK. Out of interest I tried fixing a 300k resistor between the V. Hold pot and the PCB. This had the effect of allowing the control to lock the frame, but with picture "tearing" - if that is the right word - akin to the horizontal hold being a little out. . .

My question is, does any kind person have the circuit / service info they could possibly let me have? Even better, does any knowledgeable person know off hand what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Neil.
Old 26th Jun 2006, 10:44 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Vega 542 Frame Hold Slipping etc.

Don't have the manual to hand, but can you tell me if the picture locks at all and if so, how 'touchy' the control is?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 27th Jun 2006, 9:27 am   #3
harvestgold
Hexode

Hi Steve,

In its present condition, the picture will not lock at all - turning the vertical hold control slows down the rolling, but doesn't stop it. As I say, I tried adding a 300k resistor between the pot and the PCB, with this in place, I can get the picture to lock, but the control is then very sensitive, and the picture will roll (once then lock) when changing channels and the verticals look very bendy and distorted.

Thanks! Neil.
Old 27th Jun 2006, 6:27 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Hmm - going without a manual, look for the Sync Separator and Vertical Osc stages, and change the caps.

Cheers,

Steve P

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 17th Jul 2007 at 4:44 pm. Reason: Tidying for archive
Closed Thread