UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:03 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Faulty motor run capacitor.

I have just ordered a replacement 6uF motor run capacitor for my Zanussi tumble dryer.

The original component had gone down in value to 3.5uF.

The mechanism of loss of capacitance in class X capacitors is well known, but do motor run capacitors use a similar technology to class X types and loose capacitance by a similar mechanism or does something quite different cause loss of capacitance in motor run types?

I realize that "motor run" is a description of the of the capacitor's application and not necessarily its construction technology. There may be different technologies used for them and therefore different modes of failure.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:02 pm   #2
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Faulty motor run capacitor.

I have a large number of motor run, 450v AC rated capacitors, and checking against the nominal value on the cans, I find very little difference between claimed and measured. I also have some 240v AC rated ones, with unusual values eg, 120UFd - 160UFd. All measured somewhere within their stated ranges.
The only failures I have had have been very loud exploding failures. As I am using these in connection with rotary converter developments, I now double all values with two in series. No exploders since. I do have a few smaller block like ones in the 1UFd to 5UFd range, will check them sometimes. I don't think I have used any of them yet.
Les.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:11 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

My experience of motor-run capacitors is that they lose value. My old tumble dryer used an 8uF 450VAC capacitor and the first symptoms were reluctance of the drum to turn usually accompanied by a low humming noise. The first one I removed had gone down to around 3.5uF. That replacement was replaced about 5 years later and the value had dropped to around 4uF.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:50 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
.....and the first symptoms were reluctance of the drum to turn usually accompanied by a low humming noise.....
That is exactly the same symptom that my dryer had.

I was just interested if anyone knew the mechanism of failure that caused the capacitor to loose capacitance.

In class X capacitors it is the "self repairing" mechanism that causes gradual loss of capacitance. Perhaps its the same with motor run types?
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:57 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

well..the spec sheets call them Metallised Polypropylene, as are most x caps.
These days they usually have a safety release that cuts off the power if the vent cap lifts
Old 12th Oct 2018, 10:20 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
well..the spec sheets call them Metallised Polypropylene, as are most x caps.
Thanks Kevin, that explains it.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 11:11 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

And before that, most were metallised paper sporting the same self healing properties.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 5:21 pm   #8
Richard
Heptode

Motor run capacitors used to be very reliable, and held value well, I have equipment that's 40 years old and the caps measure fine.

Then 10 years or so ago they suddenly became unreliable, loosing value very quickly.
When I worked on commercial dishwashers, glasswashers etc we used to fit new ones at every annual full service, they are that bad.

I now work on whitegoods, including tumble driers etc and regularly change them on machines that are only 2 or 3 years old.

Richard
Old 13th Oct 2018, 5:45 pm   #9
ukcol
Rest in Peace

That's an interesting observation Richard. I wonder what's going on there?

A reduction in the quality of new capacitors?

An increase in the amount of noise and spikes on the mains supply?

Both?
Old 13th Oct 2018, 6:06 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I had the Engineer round for a previous T Dryer. The 8uF had failed under warranty. He consulted the service details on his gadget and said "That's funny it shows a 16uF replacement!" I said "Maybe this is why?" He agreed, it never failed again and as the back was all metal it was very safe anyway!

Dave W
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:50 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

I recently changed one on a mate's compressor, about 4 years old but to be fair it is used all day 5 days a week. the cap was strapped to the motor body against the cooling fins in the airflow of the cooling fan. I put the failure down to the hot summer and in my opinion bad siting of the capacitor.. But reading this maybe not...
Rich.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 10:40 pm   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

We have a local scrappy and he had a little compressor of the kind sold by pretty well all the DIY sheds.
It was humming and he was patting the plastic cover.
I told him to whip the cover off and look for a capacitor with its guts spilled out.
We found one with a split in it. We got it before it had all spilled out.
Closed Thread