UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2018, 8:58 pm   #1
Henenen
Tetrode

Default Scratched/Worn VCR Drum?

I have aquired a semi-pro JVC VCR and thought I'd open it up before using it to give the tape path a quick once over with some IPA.

I was surprised to see the drum had weird marks on it (like 1-2mm patchy spots), which you can see in the pic below, and also, is that just tape abrasion all the way around it? It looks like someone's sandpapered it?!

http://oi68.tinypic.com/21b6mg6.jpg

I've never seen a drum like this before, even on my oldest most used machines. What could have caused it?

I tried cleaning the drum with IPA, hoping it would be a residue and not abrasion, but it did nothing other than leave the metal with a milky/misty finish no matter how much a cleaned it. So now it looks in an even worse state! Haven't had that happen before, anyone know what's causing the milkiness?

Tried playing an old tape afterwards and the picture seemed fine, don't think I wanna risk damage to my tapes whilse it's like this though.

My ultimate question is, is the machine pretty much scrap?
Old 28th Oct 2018, 9:12 pm   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Scratched/Worn VCR Drum?

That kind of damage can occur when a tape has wrapped tight around the drum, perhaps as a result of condensation. I've also seen (from memory, its a long time ago) many Philips drums that used to take on that kind of appearance... although perhaps not quite as defined.

Also wonder if an abrasive cleaning tape has been used.

As long as its clean and feels smooth then I doubt your tapes will suffer.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 10:53 pm   #3
vhs doctor
Pentode

From my experience it is caused from

1. Damaged cleaning roller
2.As already said from dry cleaning tape

Most of the times the machine work and the picture is normal.
Can you check the playback quality? Test it with a tape recorded from a VCR with normal heads.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 4:26 pm   #4
Henenen
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
Can you check the playback quality? Test it with a tape recorded from a VCR with normal heads.
Yeah, as I said it plays back seemingly fine.
But worried about long term damage to tape surface.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 4:36 pm   #5
vhs doctor
Pentode

In my opinion if the head worn surface does not create any damage in tape you dont have any problem.
Old 30th Oct 2018, 12:54 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Provided the grooves on the drum are okay and not worn off or filled with gunk, then the tape will still have the all -important 'air gap' in use.

I have seen drums worse than that yet still serviceable.

If you're unsure, play a few non-essential tapes right through and then check for any damage.
Closed Thread