UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:19 am   #1
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Swarfega as paint stripper

There has previously been discussion here comparing the relative efficacy of traditional and currently-available paint strippers.
We have a wooden draining board, finished in a high quality marine-grade PU varnish which has withstood everything thrown at it for the past five years or so.
However, I noticed today that a small quantity of Swarfega had found its way from its dispenser onto the board a few days ago. On cleaning it off, it was evident that the varnish had been substantially softened, in the manner of paint stripper, and could readily be wiped off.
Not so good news for the draining board, but perhaps something to try on recalcitrant finishes where paint stripper has not been effective, or where caustic chemicals are unsuitable. Since Swarfega was apparently originally produced as a cleaner for vinyl upholstry, it should presumably be safe for use on at least some plastics.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:09 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Swarfega as paint stripper

I was led to believe some time ago that Swarfega was detergent in white spirit.
It forms a gel when mixed.
May be wrong, usually am.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 5:33 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think you need a gelling agent too; we used to use talc, but any finely powdered substance might work.

I'm not too sure what goes in to Swarfega these days; like so many products, H&S and/or environmental concerns may have come in to play.

B
Old 25th Jul 2018, 6:03 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

AFAIK the original smelly green Swarfega gel is much the same as ever it was. I've always found it excellent for cleaning dirty panels. With careful use, it's also good for cleaning Rexine. It needs care because, as you've observed, it tends to soften the top pigment layer. That can be good if the top layer is stained and scruffy, but you need to be careful not to remove too much of the colour.

Martin
Old 25th Jul 2018, 6:37 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Gunk engine degreaser will also soften a range of paints and glues, or at least it used to - who knows what's in it now.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 2:29 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Swarfega" is a brand-name which is used on a range of different products (just the same as "WD40" is).

Which Swarfega product are you referring to? The stuff I have here is somewhat cloudy, Orange, and has small particles in it to act as an abrasive. There is also, at least, a Lemon version and the original clear green is still available from Screwfix.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 5:21 pm   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's the original green stuff.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 6:35 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

With the reported and experienced failures of the 'new' safer paint strippers it will be wonderful if we could find a better substitute.
I am wondering how good and safe using caustic cleaners would be?
Commercial strippers use it, but would the average woody cabinet survive?
I used to strip aluminium castings with caustic. It had to be watched carefully as the aluminium is dissolved by caustic. I think we used drain cleaner crystals.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 7:12 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Swarfega as paint stripper

Caustic soda: yes, useful stuff. But take precautions so that you don't breath in the fumes, especially when using it to clean or etch aluminium. And if making a solution (with water), always add the caustic soda to the water, never the other way round!

Al.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 9:27 pm   #10
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
AFAIK the original smelly green Swarfega gel is much the same as ever it was. I've always found it excellent for cleaning dirty panels. With careful use, it's also good for cleaning Rexine. It needs care because, as you've observed, it tends to soften the top pigment layer. That can be good if the top layer is stained and scruffy, but you need to be careful not to remove too much of the colour.

Martin
As you mentioned it can be used for cleaning plastic finishes, I thought I would try it (and compare it with the Servisol foam spray I normally use) on one of the very grubby panels from a HP oscillator I just received.

Here is the panel before cleaning;

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1794a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	166751

And after cleaning the left side with Servisol & the right side with Swarfega (Original);

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1801a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	166752

Not sure I can see much difference apart from the scratched areas maybe seem a little more visible (although the right could have been more scratched/damaged to begin with)

David
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:18 pm   #11
M3VUV51
Banned

just my 2 pence3 worth,ive been a mechanic all my life,i hope swarfega works better as paint stripper than a hand cleaner,ive always found it hopeless for cleaning hands,also on the subject of paint stripper,i find it best mixed with wallpaper paste,that way it stays wetter longer instead of drying to concrete!.Paul m3vuv.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:54 pm   #12
Colinaps
Pentode

Swarfega doesn't work at all if your hands are wet first! I have a few filthy wrinkly painted panels to try it on though..
Colin mm1aps.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 6:37 am   #13
crackle
Rest in Peace

Fairy did a power cleaner in a spray bottle similar to a normal Kitchen cleaner.
It softened the paint of a toy so it could be wiped away.

Mike
Old 17th Oct 2018, 8:52 pm   #14
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I hate to mention the stuff due to shouty man who advertises.

On another forum someone said that really awful stains on painted kettles and such, e.g. stained by sooty burning paraffin stoves, are removed by Cillit Bang.
I have tried it and that much is true.

Would i try it on anything else? Unsure. Be careful what else it comes into contact with...wife is bearing some grudges against me from these first attempts.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 11:26 am   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Be careful what else it comes into contact with...wife is bearing some grudges against me from these first attempts.
From Wikipedia:
Cillit Bang Grime and Lime Spray (known in some countries as Easy off Bang/Bam Power Grime and Lime Cleaner Trigger) product contains two acids: sulfamic acid and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid (also known as orthophosphoric acid or phosphoric (V) acid) is a weak mineral acid with the chemical formula H3PO4 and applied to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron (III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound

Interestingly:
In August 2009, it was revealed that household cleaners such as Cillit Bang and Mr. Muscle have been used to clean plutonium stains at the defunct Dounreay nuclear power station in Caithness, Scotland
Old 18th Oct 2018, 7:07 pm   #16
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

That explains a lot. Thanks Bill.
It removes soot from paint very well. If it gets near natural wood or such expect
some trouble.

Mine is banned to the shed. If you were to use it on grubby test gear?
What do we think?

The old spray foam cleaner of yore seems to have disappeared.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 8:14 pm   #17
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quote:
Be careful what else it comes into contact with...wife is bearing some grudges against me from these first attempts.
From Wikipedia:
Cillit Bang Grime and Lime Spray (known in some countries as Easy off Bang/Bam Power Grime and Lime Cleaner Trigger) product contains two acids: sulfamic acid and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid (also known as orthophosphoric acid or phosphoric (V) acid) is a weak mineral acid with the chemical formula H3PO4 and applied to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron (III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound I]Interestingly: [/I] In August 2009, it was revealed that household cleaners such as Cillit Bang and Mr. Muscle have been used to clean plutonium stains at the defunct Dounreay nuclear power station in Caithness, Scotland
That article on Wiki should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are various claims on there for which the Wiki people have inserted "Citation needed". One of the four 'references' is unavailable. If you look elsewhere on Google, the question of whether of not phosphoric acid is a weak acid or a strong acid is a subject of debate; it is certainly stronger than either acetic or citric acid solution. Solutions of phosphoric acid have been used to "neutralise rust" with claims that the rust is converted to insoluble phosphate, which then protects the surface against further corrosion. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some salt in that product, which is always deadly when corrosion may be a risk.

Of course, Dounreay will never be used again, so if they are causing damage to surfaces it does not matter. Using that stuff on restoration and conservation projects may be a bad idea.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 18th Oct 2018 at 8:21 pm.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 11:16 pm   #18
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
That explains a lot. Thanks Bill.
It removes soot from paint very well. If it gets near natural wood or such expect
some trouble.

Mine is banned to the shed. If you were to use it on grubby test gear?
What do we think?

The old spray foam cleaner of yore seems to have disappeared.
Try here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Servi...wAAOSwb1JbYsGy

Not my product , I am not selling it !
It is good stuff though .
As for the other product you mentioned...I wish someone would BANG him !
Old 20th Oct 2018, 7:00 am   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

The best hand cleaner: liquid detergent and sugar.
The best paint stripper: Aircraft paint remover http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/ai...-paint-remover
Old 20th Oct 2018, 3:54 pm   #20
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

What is an effective stripper to remove enamel/oil base paint from clear perspex that does not attack the Perspex?

Please no unobtanium or USA products.

JohnB g8jmb
Closed Thread