UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2018, 5:46 pm   #1
ddondelinger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekcovision T330 Television set found in the loft

Hi all,

I am new to this site which I came across through searching on the internet. Having just tidied out our loft I came across an 'Ekcovision T330' old television which I am wondering whether anyone would be able to shed any light about its history, what is required to make it work etc.

As my company will be posting me abroad for the next few years I am also wonering what to do with it, i.e sell it, donate it to a museum etc.

I welcome your thoughts and insights.

Regards

Dominique
Old 5th Oct 2018, 6:38 pm   #2
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ekcovision T330 Television set found in the loft

Welcome to the forum.

I can't find an accurate date for it but it is a 405-line set from the late 50s.

I think it was one of the first sets to group the channels in pairs so that, instead of turning the turret all the way from 1 to 9 to change from BBC to ITV in the London area, the channels were arranged in a sequence that started 1 - 9 - 2 - 10 - 3 - 11 etc. so that in most areas of the country the two programmes were adjacent to each other.

As for what is required to make it work, how long is a piece of string?

I can't decide from your post if you wish to get this set working yourself or are more interested in passing it on to someone who can. If it is the former, can you give us some idea of your technical abilities and experience of vintage electronics; if the latter. I'm sure you will find someone here who would be delighted to take on the task or, as you mention a museum, perhaps the vintage Wireless Museum in Dulwich would be interested - they have a large range of sets there but I don't recall an Ekco of this vintage in their collection.

There are a couple of other vintage forums where there might also be an interest, so I'll let them know of your post here.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 7:07 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Listed in this page, Feb 1958 price £51 8s.
https://thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/ekco/ekco.htm
Old 5th Oct 2018, 7:36 pm   #4
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Yes, but that price doesn't include Purchase Tax - the total price would have been around £70 inc. PT.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 7:46 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Very true Terry.
Old 6th Oct 2018, 10:32 am   #6
1100 man
Octode

Hi Dominique,
This is a pretty standard 405 line TV from the late '50s. Sadly, not particularly desirable by collectors. It's the sort of set that gets offered on this forum for free to other enthusiasts.

They are perfectly good sets but the journey from being stored in a loft for 40 years to producing a watchable picture is usually a long and often difficult one! If you don't have experience of old valve TV's, this is even more difficult and fraught with problems. There will be many components that will need replacing and faults to diagnose. At the very least you will need a test meter and know how to use it.

In order to get any sort of picture (rather than just a blank screen), you will need a 'standards converter' to convert to the old 405 line system. These cost about £200. There are other ways but they involve even more dedication.

You will also need to understand how to keep yourself safe while working on the set. High voltages are present that can give you a very nasty shock plus all the metalwork is connected to one side of the mains and could well be 'live'!!

So unless you have a desire to get in to vintage TV's, its a non- trivial process to get it working!!

It's very unlikely a museum will want it, unfortunately. You could try Ebay but despite the often ludicrous prices being asked, these sort of sets don't command much money.

Hope that might help you to make a decision as to what to do with it. At least offered on here for free, an enthusiast will end up with it rather than it being turned into a fish tank or cocktail cabinet!!

All the best
Nick
Old 6th Oct 2018, 12:13 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just the usual warning - don't plug it in! It was probably stored in the loft when it went wrong, and now will have a lot more wrong with it.
You might get a few pounds for it on eBay if it's worth the trouble - as Nick says any on there as 'Buy it Now' are fuelled by optimism and never sell. Otherwise I'm sure someone on here or related forum will be happy to take it off your hands.
Old 6th Oct 2018, 2:35 pm   #8
terrykc
Rest in Peace

I've been in touch with someone connected with the Dulwich museum and he is going to find out if they are interested but he points out they are very short of space - which I can vouch for. However, if they are interested he is in roughly the same geographical area as you, so could collect.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 3:50 pm   #9
ddondelinger
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all,

Apologies for the late response as I have been ill. I didn’t know people turn these things into fish tanks!!.

I do have a degree in biomedical engineering so am not unfamiliar with electronics however as we have a new baby and are potentially moving country next year it’s probably best to get rid of it as I can't take it with me!

Therefore looks like a museum it is.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 12:29 am   #10
AidanLunn
Heptode

You could try eBay?

I'd still have it:
A) if I was nearer
B) if I could drive
C) if I had he time to collect and
D) if I hadn't recently been made unemployed.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 8:21 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Ekco T330/T331. I have posted a couple of refurbs on these excellent receivers. Tube CRM173 is usually OK and the LOPT case can be easily rebuilt if required from Paxolin, Perspex etc.

Good starter chassis and load of information available on this Forum.

What are you waiting for? John.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:42 am   #12
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post

I'd still have it:
A) if I was nearer
B) if I could drive
C) if I had he time to collect and
D) if I hadn't recently been made unemployed.
B would solve A and surely D solves C?
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:53 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ever thought of a career as a life coach, Tim?

Seriously though, I would offer this FOC (or for a donation to a charity of your choice) to someone who will restore and enjoy it.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 8:20 am   #14
ddondelinger
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, I shall take that onboard.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 8:36 pm   #15
ddondelinger
Retired Dormant Member

Just to let everyone know the TV Ended upmgoing to a production company to be used as a prop for filming which I thought was fitting
Closed Thread