UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2015, 11:14 am   #1
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rapitest DM25 multimeter

Hi I'm very much a novice with electrics however I have managed to refurbish a number of valve amplified record players. I have been given the Rapitest DM25 multimeter but no instruction manual. My questions are can I use this particular meter to check capacitors? If yes how do I go about it and where should I set the dial to. I am aware of the high voltages involved with these machines and all safety precautions are taken. Thanks Gary
Old 30th Apr 2015, 11:23 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Rapitest DM25 multimeter

There doesn't seem to be much information available for these meters.

If you could post a clear picture of it I'm sure we can help.

However it is unlikely that a normal multi-meter will be able to directly test capacitors at the full working voltage.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Apr 2015, 2:27 pm   #3
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Here's a picture of the meter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mm.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	107656  
Old 30th Apr 2015, 2:42 pm   #4
Station X

That's a useful looking meter, but it has no facility to test capacitors.

The manual for any non-auto ranging DMM should get you going, but try this for starters.

http://www.ece.vt.edu/cel/docs/MY-64...ter-Manual.pdf

Points to remember.

Use the correct input sockets.

Resistance measurements are taken with equipment powered off.

When measuring voltage remember to select AC or DC and connect the meter in parallel with the circuit under test.

When measuring current remember to select AC or DC and connect the meter in series with the circuit under test. If you connect it in parallel there may be a big bang!

If unsure of the expected reading start on the highest range and work down until you get a sensible reading.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Nov 2017, 4:38 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

For further information see here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=141094
Old 5th Nov 2017, 5:18 pm   #6
paulsherwin

As Graham says, that appears to be a perfectly decent cheap multimeter. It is very suitable for the sort of vintage radio and record player work likely to be done by a beginner, though not some of the more esoteric stuff that some members get up to.

Testing capacitors is a complex business, which is why lots of people advocate just changing any suspect ones without trying to identify those that have actually failed. You need to test them at their actual working voltages, and distinguish between changes in value and leakage. There is also the question of ESR when testing electrolytic caps.
Closed Thread