UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2017, 11:40 pm   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Chinese component testers.

Oddly my cheap 'orrible Chinese Magic Box has no problems identifying any transistors, even ancient Pye, Fairchilds "red spots" etc.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 1:33 am   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Chinese component testers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Oddly my cheap 'orrible Chinese Magic Box has no problems identifying any transistors, even ancient Pye, Fairchilds "red spots" etc.
With the Af11x transistors that are identified as a "Three terminal bicolour LED" by the Peak Atlas, my Chinese tester identifies them as "Part unknown or damaged".

That said, I have had a few instances where the Chinese one identified a germanium transistor that the Peak Atlas didn't. But mine isn't running the latest firmware, and it is implied that an update would improve the Peak Atlas's behaviour with germanium devices. One day, I'll send it away for an update...
Old 6th Nov 2017, 10:59 am   #3
nebogipfel
Pentode

As a beginner find my little Chinese tester very useful for a quick test of component values and unlike the experiences mentioned above has seemed pretty reliable.

There are quite a few variations on the theme and perhaps this is significant? The pcb on mine (orange) is marked V268

When testing transistors it gives you the gain of the device but more relevant to this thread clearly indicates the pinouts.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 11:28 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have two of those Chinese Multitesters, one of which I have yet to build into a case. That one is made by 91make.taobao.com and is (date?)coded 20140314dw. I find them very useful for checking, not only transistors & diodes, but capacitors & resistors as well. How accurate they are when testing High voltage caps. I've no way of checking, but one thing I do know is that the ZIF sockets fitted to these aren't very good or practical long term, so the newer one will have 4mm or similar sockets attached. BTW I've just visited '91 Make's website, which shows that they produce a range of these instruments, some cased, plus other items. However the site is in Chinese, so I'm unable to understand/read the text.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 6th Nov 2017 at 11:47 am. Reason: To add info about the tester manufacturer
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:21 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I also use one a lot and find it very useful. It does struggle with Ge devices but otherwise seems to test very well. The build quality is pretty awful but 'good enough'. I haven't bothered building an enclosure for it, and just store it in a small wooden box with its battery. While it's clearly not a professional test instrument it's perfectly OK for hobbyist use, and I always suggest to newbies that they buy one.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:53 pm   #6
nebogipfel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
but one thing I do know is that the ZIF sockets fitted to these aren't very good or practical long term, so the newer one will have 4mm or similar sockets attached
Yes I had planned to put clip test leads on mine which would also make it more versatile for testing devices in circuit, or more likely with one lead lifted.

I put mine in one of the neat little clear plexiglass enclosures which makes the whole thing more durable and business-like.

Amazing little devices for the money.