UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2021, 12:29 pm   #1
Petedox
Pentode

Default Very stiff ALPS pot

I have a Quad 34 that the previous owner held in storage for over ten years. The Alps volume control (see pic) is very stiff, and I can't really see a 'way in' to clean or lubricate. Maybe I have to remove completely and strip down - if that is indeed possible. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad Alps.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	227869  
Old 28th Feb 2021, 12:45 pm   #2
JonSnell
Hexode

Default Re: Very stiff ALPS pot

I suspect the shaft in the bushing has dried out oil that is now hard.
I would warm the shaft up with a hair drier/hot air gun until warm to touch, add a drop of sewing machine oil (thin grade) to the point where the shaft exits the bushing. Hopefully that will allow the thin oil to seep into the hard oil and loosen it up.
These pots can be disassembled with care. It is unusual for the wiper arms to get stiff.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 2:30 pm   #3

I have had a few of ALPS pots apart for making motorised balance controls*, they seem to use silicone lubricant. I would use a drop of silicone oil on the shaft and wait a week or so.

*in my mind one of the most important remotely adjustable controls on an amplifier.

Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:05 pm   #4
Petedox
Pentode

Thanks gentlemen, as you both suggest the problem is old hard lubricant on the shaft/bushing area.

I warmed it up and added a minute amount of thin oil it's operating much more freely now - as good as new I reckon!
Old 1st Mar 2021, 9:37 pm   #5
Silicon
Nonode

ALPS may have used a silicone oil because mineral oil makes rubber and some plastics swell up or soften.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 9:40 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

But if a silicone lubricant gets anywhere near sliding contacts....

David