UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2016, 5:21 pm   #1
bakophone
Triode

Default Telephone 162.

For a long time I have had a very early Ivory "Diakon" Siemens GPO 162 telephone which even has an original box, although not quite matching for model year.

As I did not want to spoil the originality of this telephone, I have never converted it to 232 innards, but could not get it to work as I did not have a Bellset 1A or 25.

Recently I was lucky enough to find a Bellset 1A which had been in the attic of the Victorian house it came out of probably since the 1950's. It was still attached to a very broken black 162 telephone all parts dating to 1934.

Unfortunately most of the original varnish had lifted so I have had to refinish it. Also one of the original black anodised bells was broken so I have replaced with a copper set I already had.

The good news is that my Ivory 162 is now working well on it's original components. I also have a candlestick 150 which I may pair up to the bellset instead to see if I can get this working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t162a.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	131056   Click image for larger version

Name:	t162b.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	131057   Click image for larger version

Name:	t162c.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	131058   Click image for larger version

Name:	t162d.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	131059  
Old 12th Oct 2016, 7:39 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone 162.

I assume that you mean Urea Formaldehyde as Diakon wasn't invented until the mid-1930's and the GPO first used it in 1938. Your ivory phone must be quite early as it has a No 10 dial with small dial centre. I have a 1932 Ivory 162 and it is the same white colour rather than the more creamy colour of the later Diakon Tele 232 phones. Also it is a 'Bell Set No 1' that you have - there isn't a 'Bell Set No 1A' but there is a 'Bell No 1A' which is purely an extension bell with no other components in it other than the bell and the four terminals. A 'bellset' has other components in addition to the bell mechanism ;-)

A nice restoration! I'm lucky enough to have a mint ivory Tele 232 dated 1957as well as a few red and ivory 300 types new in their original boxes. Surprising what you find over the years. Currently looking for bits to restore a 'tatty' green Tele 232 bought last year for £50 ! All arrives eventually if I wait and keep looking
Old 12th Oct 2016, 10:39 pm   #3
bakophone
Triode

Yes I think you are correct about the plastic, for some reason I had in my mind that Diakon was the earlier verson. I too have later ivory 232 and 332s. The colour is cream rather than off white and is very smooth to the touch, unlike my early 162.

I do have a couple of bell 1As so guess I was thinking of these when typing. Although I have red and green GPO 332/312s, the only red and green 232 versions I have are Indian repro models. You did very well to find an original green 232 for £50, although I did see one in reasonable condition sell for the same sort of price at auction on Dickinson's real deal a couple of years ago. I only wish I'd been at that auction!
Old 13th Oct 2016, 2:47 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

It is only when you see the Diakon 'ivory' 232 against the early 162 'ivory' that you really see the difference. My green 232 slowly gets put together. If only I could beam myself back - I used order all sorts of bits as where I worked (a major hub of the Defence Telecoms Network ) lots of our extensions were coloured Diakon 2XX and 3XX plus scrambler phones (all installed circa 1937/8 ready for WW2) And as the parts were classed as 'small stores' by the GPO, I could order all sorts without question. Happy days.
Old 13th Oct 2016, 8:19 pm   #5
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Happy days indeed. As another former employee of the old firm, I well remember the 300-style scramblers, having had one on my desk for some years. Wish I'd grabbed it before I moved on to my next posting. I also recall the undignified rush to permanently disable, or otherwise break our remaining 300s and 706s so that we could enjoy the kudos of being among the few in the department to have the latest Statesman, which had only just been released. Wish I could have my time again.......
Old 14th Oct 2016, 3:02 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's lovely to see an original box too and the decorative sealing tape!