UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2016, 8:47 pm   #1
Scottysnap62
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sterdy 3 wire intercom wiring

Hello

I need to ask for some advice please. I have a couple of old black metal Sterdy 3 wire single station intercoms, I have enclosed a couple of pictures one of which I have traced out a wiring diagram.
I need some advice as to wire them both together, ie battery etc.
Thank you in advance

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sterdy phones.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	132858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterdy wiring diag 001.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	132859  
Old 16th Nov 2016, 12:18 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Sterdy 3 wire intercom wiring

We had a previous thread, which may help: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=102457
Old 16th Nov 2016, 6:49 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My first guess (not knowing anything about these units really...) would be to interconnect terminal 1 (your naming) between the units, ditto for terminal 3. Connect a battery between 2 and 3 at each unit, but the opposite way round. In other words, positive to terminal 2 at one unit, positive to terminal 3 at the other.

Start with 1.5V, go up in 1.5V steps until the buzzers work well, my guess is that it's either 3V or 4.5. The 2 batteries should be the same.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 9:03 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have three of these slave units connected to a master that can interconnect up to seven slaves. It works well with a singlr 6V battery connected to the master, but I think it will happily work on less. I haven't tried connecting the slaves together without use of the master, though.

I think I've documented the wiring of my system somewhere, which might be adaptable to using a pair of slaves as a stand-alone system. If I can find it, I'll post it here.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 1:55 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kamera_01.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	132881  
Old 16th Nov 2016, 5:45 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, that's what I had in mind. For speech both handsets are in series across the total battery (2 batteries in series). For calling, one battery operates a buzzer when the switch is pressed.

It may not be the original way of wiring them, but it may well work for 2 stations.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 12:39 am   #7
Scottysnap62
Retired Dormant Member

All

Many thanks indeed for all your help. I will work on this this weekend, I will be using either a single lantern 6volt battery in the middle of the two units or use 3 D cells at each station utilising a 4.5V supply.

Scott
Closed Thread