UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2016, 9:41 am   #1
chunya2005
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help needed with Bell RTT 56B

Hi,
This is my first visit to this forum, and was amazed and pleased to find a forum dedicated to vintage radios and phones, so thank you.
I picked up this Bell Belgique RTT 56B at a local auction a while back. It seems to have already been converted properly as the vendor had told the auctioneers that it had been working.
When I plug it in I can hear some very faint 'static' sound, but no dial tone, nor will it dial out or receive calls.
All the connections seem to be sound (no loose wires), and the terminals seem to be clean (but I don't know how clean they need to be) Oddly enough when I unscrewed the mouthpiece there was a piece of plastic/polythene paper between the two sections.
Hopefully someone will be able to tell me whether this lovely old phone will ever work again, but please bear in mind that I am pretty much an electronics dinosaur.
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03427.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	132305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03429.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	132306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03431.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	132307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03432.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	132308  
Old 6th Nov 2016, 11:01 am   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Help needed with Bell RTT 58B

Looks like the conversion has been done according to this page: http://www.britishtelephones.com/bellt3.htm

These conversions are not always caring about maximum speech quality, because they are made with the ringer load as the most important, but still they do work reasonably well. Your phone should work an a BT line with a master (and slave sockets).

The handset modifications looks a little odd, disconnect the phone and put battery of 4.5-9V between the terminal A and B you should be able to speak, and hear yourselves pretty well. If OK the wire between the socket and the phone has to be tested.
If not working, remove the handset wires from the phone, and try the battery between red and black. You may try to switch red and black if the handset only works with the right polarity. You should hear yourselves very load, and it may be loud pops in the earpiece when you connect/disconnect the battery.

dsk
Old 6th Nov 2016, 11:09 am   #3
chunya2005
Retired Dormant Member

I should have mentioned that the phone was plugged into a BT MK3 box, which takes the phone line and Broadband. Might this be a problem?

Many thanks.

Many thanks DSK for your response, and I'll get a 9v battery and try it. It would be great to get this working again, it's two years younger than me and just the sort of phone that I grew up with.
Old 6th Nov 2016, 11:37 am   #4
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I do not know BT MK3, but if another normal phone works here, I see no reason for not getting the voice and ringing to work. Rotary dials may be another issue, but that might be solved with a converter if needed.

You may lend the 9 V battery from a smoke detector

dsk

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 6th Nov 2016 at 11:38 am. Reason: text errors
Old 6th Nov 2016, 3:05 pm   #5
chunya2005
Retired Dormant Member

Hello dsk,
First of all apologies, for some reason I wrote 58B whereas it should have been 56B.

I found a 9v battery, followed your link and then went to the Bell (Antwerp) circuit diagrams. Unfortunately I really do struggle with comparing what appears in the diagrams to what I am seeing as shown in the photo.
Looking at the photo, and the two columns of connected wires, the first with 5 rows and the second with 4 rows, which are the A and B terminals? Do I unscrew these wires and attach them to the battery?
Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03429.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	132325  
Old 6th Nov 2016, 9:41 pm   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Help needed with Bell RTT 56B

The B should have an internal grey (slate) wire soldered to the terminal.
A should be brown, And no You do not have to disconnect wires for this test.

For the 2.nd test you should unscrew the handset wires.

dsk
Old 6th Nov 2016, 10:26 pm   #7
dagskarlsen
Heptode

If you look at the bakelite, the screw terminals should have som molded letter in the bakelite It might be R MR M C on the row of 4, and A S C1 B E on the other row.

dsk
Old 9th Nov 2016, 12:43 pm   #8
chunya2005
Retired Dormant Member

Good Morning,
Many thanks for all of your help. The first test just produced clicking when I connected the terminals, with the second (connecting Red and Black) I could hear my voice ... so all I did was to disconnect and reconnect all the wires and the phone now works perfectly, and what a lovely ring.
Again, many thanks
Closed Thread