UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2016, 7:31 pm   #1
john777
Tetrode

Default Problem with ringing bell on jubilee compact 776 phone

Hello
I have a problem with the above model phone.
Basically I had it working OK then took all the cords out so I could clean the cords which were caked with dirt.
I then re-wired it as follows from the British telephone website.
It will dial in and out and the bells ring on incoming calls, but when I dial out the bell rings - basically it rings when the dial returns and only for the period it returns. I have double checked the wiring a dozen times but all seems in order.
The only thing I changed was the jack plug which had a broken hook, but am pretty sure this is wired correctly.
The old bell wires were left in situ as they have looped ends as opposed to spade ends so I can't imagine that it would be these.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what might cause this behaviour.
Thanks for reading

"Jubilee and Telephone SA4271 with Bellset Bell Unit SA4271 (using original cord between Telephone and Bellset).

In the instructions below the T refers to the telephone terminals 1 to 9. Please disregard the handset terminals T1 & T2.

Bellset terminals L1, L2 and E are not used in these instructions and nothing should be connected to them.
Remove strap T2 - T3.
Insert strap T1 - T2.
Ensure that no strap exists between B2 and B3.
Insert straps between B5 - B6 - B7.
Remove strap B3 - B4.
Insert 3.3k resistor between B3 and B4.
Connect the cords as detailed in the table below.
Telephone - Original cord - Bellset - New line cord
T4 ---------- Red ---------- B1 -------- Red
T1 ---------- Blue -------- B3 -------- Blue
T5 ---------- White ---------- B7 -------- white
T9 ---------- Black ---------- B4
T8 ---------- Orange ---------- B5
T7 ---------- Green ---------- B6"
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 5:45 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Problem with ringing bell on jubilee compact 776 phone

When you say it rings as the dial returns, does it actually ring or just tinkle with each dial pulse?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 5:59 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

As far as I know there never was an official version of this telephone fitted with the Plug 431 (normal modern UK telephone plug). I can find no reference to diagram N8876 which I assume would be the one if there had been such a telephone.

However, I have looked at diagram N876 which is the diagram for the normal Compact telephone. Based on the diagrams there the above terminal connections make no sense at all. I can only assume there were several versions of the bell set (I think the telephone itself is more likely to have existed in only one version).

Personally, I would trace out the connections in the bell set (there's only the bell, a capacitor (which in mine is hidden under one of the gongs!) and the terminals. Then see how it compares with the wiring in N876. Then we can probably suggest how to wire it correctly.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 6:17 pm   #4
Station X

Go here and download the document "UK Telephone Socket Information" :-

http://www.vintage-radio.info/data

Fig 11 in that document shows how to convert a Compact Telephone to work on a plug and socket system. It may be useful.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 7:17 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

That one does make sense with diagram N876. But you probably want to add a 3k3 resistor in series with the bell, say in place of the stap between B5 and B6
Closed Thread