UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2016, 9:02 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Lead-based finishes

I have an Ekco M23 in very rusty condition much like the one in this thread. Following in Radio Dave's footsteps it's now a box full of carefully sorted and catalogued parts waiting for individual attention. I was happily stripping the rust and paint off the chassis when the thought of lead-based paints crossed my mind. I don't intend to ingest any of the stuff I remove from the chassis but does anyone know if the finishes used on chassis of this era (1930's) are likely to be lead-based?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 9:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Lead-based finishes

"Red Lead" primer and "White Lead" topcoat are the traditional nasties [which killed children when they chewed on their lead-enriched nice white toys or the rails of their cots]

If you've not got any white topcoat or reddish primer/undercoat you'll probably be OK.

[Be careful though of sanding some plated surfaces: relatively small amounts of Cadmium, if inhaled/ingested, can be as horrible to your health as lead].
Old 24th Jan 2016, 11:21 am   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Yes, lead and most other oxides (fumes, cigarette smoke...) are toxic in large volumes, but you would have to consume a hell of a lot of abraded dust and chew pre-war lead toy soldiers to death to kill you. Just take sensible precautions.
Old 24th Jan 2016, 12:33 pm   #4
happytiger
No Longer a Member

Surely you dont chew or put ANY painted surface to your mouth! All paints are poisonous.
Nothing wrong with lead based paints,if handled with respect. But yes be carefull when sanding any paint surface.
Old 24th Jan 2016, 1:08 pm   #5
Dickie
Octode

Thanks all. I don't think its cad. plated but better be safe than sorry.

Richard, BVWS member
Closed Thread