UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2015, 11:41 pm   #21
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: Cleaning and tidying up old wood cabinets

This is all interesting and really useful. The benefit for me of starting these threads is that I can refer back to them quite easily at later date for information or inspiration. Hopefully others will find them useful too.

I think for my AC34 all I want to do is clean up a pretty ok case, certainly for the time being. My view is that its age and imperfections are a good thing. Also, I don't have the time or skills to launch into a full scale strip and refinish. I do have a radio case that I can use as a test bed for some of the techniques outlined above, and in time I will report on how I've got on.

However it may interest you to know that my dad also has an AC34 which he had French polished by a relative (no longer with us) maybe 20 years ago. That looks good and, to the untrained eye (ie. Everyone but a vintage enthusiast), looks original.

Martin
Old 10th Jan 2016, 1:39 am   #22
Cal Allan
Retired Dormant Member

Ive always found with both wooden and bakelite sets is to start with the mildest form of cleaning - Duraglit (Metal wadding polish) rub very lightly on wood and bakelite, then buff off with a yellow duster, removes layers and years of grime, finish off with scratch colour polish, Ive done many sets like this, they gleam!
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 12:54 pm   #23
PaulR
Dekatron

I have tried French polishing and have come to the conclusion that it is one of those things that look easy when done by an expert but is very difficult for the inexperienced.

I refinished the top of a McMichael radiogram by stripping it then using lots of applications of Danish oil and then cut them back with T - Cut. I think that the result is much better than anything I could get with French polish and requires zero skill. I must get round to doing the rest of the cabinet!

People were very fond of interesting veneers in the '30s and it is a shame for them to be covered by opaque, cracked cellulose lacquer.

The photos show the top and the rest of the cabinet for comparison.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McMichael top.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	118748   Click image for larger version

Name:	McMichael front.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	118749  
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 2:26 pm   #24
Martin Bush
Octode

This is a thread I started long ago...

In the end, having looked at the condition of the sets I wanted to revive, and with a suggestion from someone who took a look too I made a mix of boiled linseed and turps.

The results were pretty much what I wanted. It basically equalized the tone of the cabinet, blended scratches in and gave them a nice shine.

I think my sets were at the right level - a bit scuffed here and there but generally sound.

At some point I am going to have to do a more comprehensive job on a wood cabinet just for my own satisfaction. But for anyone reading this who has a slightly scruffy cabinet I would suggest the turps and linseed.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 22nd Jan 2016 at 4:20 pm. Reason: Section C.
Closed Thread