UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2016, 5:48 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Spraying transistor speaker grilles

Hi all

I have a host of hacker and Roberts transistor sets each with some paint loss on the grilles.

I masked up and sprayed my 505 this morning and the results were 80% there. I am blaming either the tape I used to mask the unpainted stripes - I got a bit of paint ingress. So it looks OK, but not as good as I want.

So, how do I get the tape so well stuck that no paint gets under? Better tape (I used some from a car paint retailer)? or is there a roller you can use to get it perfect?

For sets with just the odd ding, is there a technique to tackle that? Is without resorting g to mask and spray.

Martin
Old 21st Jan 2016, 5:55 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Spraying transistor speaker grilles

I've not tried it, but a possibility is 'frisket' - a sort of liquid mask.
It might be possible to roll it onto the necessary areas using a firm roller.
Probably simpler is the 'apply approximately, then rub off' methods described in the recent thread about filling engraved legends.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 7:00 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

I'm looking for very straight edges. Would it work for that?
Old 21st Jan 2016, 8:04 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, its primary use is in graphic arts (airbrushed illustrations, for example).
There are several grades from a number of manufacturers, so finding the most suitable might be difficult.
Alternatively, would one of the 'magic marker' type car touch-up things work? For 'the odd ding', I have sussessfully used a normal spirit marker.
I wonder how the grilles were done originally, though?
Old 21st Jan 2016, 8:21 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

I will look into it. So far I have found a video online... Sadly one of those American ones that go on all afternoon.

I guess the originals were done en masse using a machine or standardised process. I got the tape straight when i did mine, but I guess not airtight in all places.

For the dings I'll invest in a pen. It will take skill to apply it and not leave it blobby I have expect.
Closed Thread