UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2016, 11:59 am   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Ebonite panel..Engraved or otherwise?

'tis me again, this is all tied up with the Recepteur Type RI 221 thread but I thought I might separate the question as per subject.

Having established that the front panel is made from Ebonite I am now trying to find out what the usual "engraving" method would have been.

Engraved, as in by hand or machine?

Impressed, as in stamped after a blank panel was produced?

Moulded, as in the panel mould had the lettering in relief?

Other?

Any ideas?

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 4:25 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ebonite panel..Engraved or otherwise?

Obviously for it to be in relief (with the letters standing proud) it could only have been moulded, but lettering on panels, as seen on crystal sets for example, would I think have been done using a pantograph engraving machine - a much simpler technique as no dies, heating or pressure are involved. The nearest thing to engraved Ebonite nowadays (on a 'home-brew level rather than a production run) would be engraved black 'Traffolite' with a white under-layer which is revealed when engraved - used for such things as name badges and office door notices.

For front panels for home-brew projects I mostly use Attwater brand Phenolic sheet (SRBP Tufnol substitute), which is available in black or brown, and various thicknesses such as 2mm, 3mm, 4mm etc. Not too expensive - eg, 400mm x 300mm x 3mm is £6.95 'buy it now' from the e-bay supplier that I use. I guess it could be engraved if desired, and the lettering filled with white/ivory enamel paint, then when almost dry, the excess wiped from the face of the panel by a cloth dampened with thinners.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 5:01 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

As far as I know you can use all three, it should be obvious which was actually used in any particular application. I've only seen engraved I think. Ebonite can shrink, and it does discolour, but that can often be polished out. It may also get brittle, corners are sometimes missing, as are bits near overtightened screws.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 5:37 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

It looks engraved to me because of the sharpness of the characters.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Jan 2016, 11:36 am   #5
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Obviously for it to be in relief (with the letters standing proud) it could only have been moulded, but lettering on panels, as seen on crystal sets for example, would I think have been done using a pantograph engraving machine - a much simpler technique as no dies, heating or pressure are involved. The nearest thing to engraved Ebonite nowadays (on a 'home-brew level rather than a production run) would be engraved black 'Traffolite' with a white under-layer which is revealed when engraved - used for such things as name badges and office door notices.
Being fortunate enough to have an old engraving machine, I do my own, but using a sheet of black perspex and filling with white wax. Traffolite or the modern equivalent is certainly easier, but seems to be difficult to buy except in enormous quantity.

Les.
Closed Thread