UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2016, 5:47 pm   #1
Orbital
Diode

Default Bush TR82/VTR103 Cabinet Repairs

Hello,

The VTR103 appears to by my 'Eleanor', three having recently arrived via various carriers in more than the recommended number of pieces. I realise this has been covered before, but with mixed results.

So, what best to repair the little clips on these cases, and more relevantly what particular type of plastic are the cases made from?

I ask this because I saw some Loctite repair putty in the local DIY place, but it's not recommended for polyethylene, polypropylene or PTFE.

This stuff would seem ideal, but I would prefer not to do more damage to the case with a trial and error experiment, so I would value your thoughts and suggestions.

El.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bush TR82/VTR103 Cabinet Repairs

At a guess it's ABS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylo...adiene_styrene

I've certainly glued stuff on with Araldite in the past without problems, so I'd expect any common epoxy glue or filler to work.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:36 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Several I've repaired missing bits of plastic around the edges of the back where clumsy individuals often try to force open the back to fit a battery, and have chipped off a piece of the plastic - a common problem. I've scraped plastic shavings from unobtrusive places inside the cabinet, then dissolved the shavings in polystyrene glue obtainable from modelling shops. The shavings readily dissolve and make a 'putty' which is the same colour and the same material that the cabinet is made from, so it bonds really well. When sanded to shape with 600G and 1,000G wet and dry, then polished, the repair is virtually invisible.

Same technique works on similar cabinets.

Not really relevant to the cabinet repair of the clips which is the subject of this thread, but hopefully, of use.
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 1:54 pm   #4
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Bush TR82/VTR103 Cabinet Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Not really relevant to the cabinet repair of the clips which is the subject of this thread, but hopefully, of use.
Not relevant, but still something I would never have thought of! That sounds like a brilliant technique!

Orbital - broken chassis mountings on these Bush models are apparently quite common - I did a forum search for you here.

I'm intrigued by this reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
The VTR103 appears to be my 'Eleanor'…
Would you mind elaborating?
Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:54 pm   #5
Orbital
Diode

I appear unable to get a VTR103 in one piece through the post, in spite of 4 TR82's and an MB60 all arriving undamaged.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and the forum search, I will have a go at the weekend and report back... in fact I may as well try a few methods, having a surplus of broken cabinets to hand!

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 5th Jan 2016 at 7:20 am. Reason: Automotive section removed - Off Topic on the forum.
Closed Thread