UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2017, 6:00 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Military AVO 8 Questions

Hello all.

Is it correct that the military versions of the AVO 8 Mk6 and 7 are non latching for the Rev MC switch?

Thanks.
Old 5th Dec 2017, 6:09 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Military AVO 8 Questions

Mine is non-latching, push-and-hold!
Old 5th Dec 2017, 11:00 pm   #3
SeanMcK
Retired Dormant Member

As far as I am aware all the Military spec Mk5's have non latching reverse switches too.
Most also have the battery terminals holes 'sealed' with a permanently soft, green Plasticine like substance.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 2:31 pm   #4
richard.cs
Triode

Mine doesn't latch.
Old 5th Jan 2018, 10:22 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

Here's another question for you.

Just picked this one up, couldn't resist.

On the older Mk5 Nato units, were the serial numbers ever like this? The format is usually different. There's no date on this one either. It's even different to that of a 'regular' Mk5.

The serials would usually have a number followed by another one with the prefix M. And the model on the label would usually say TS1 or MRTS.

I wonder if this is how the first Nato units were done or if it's got a different back on it?

I can tell it's one of the older Mk5 Natos, by the front panel as the later ones had the lines and marking for switching to OFF and DC for transit.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180105_06.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	155049   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180105_07.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	155050  
Old 6th Jan 2018, 9:18 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

I don't think this is specifically a NATO feature but a feature of the earliest Model 8 Mk V instruments. It may have been retained on later NATO versions or perhaps the push-on push-off style was found to be more acceptable for the commercial market.

I have somewhat vague memory of an AVO sales rep. visiting the Polytechnic where I was a (slightly) mature student at the time. i.e. Having had a real full time job before joining the course concerned. This would have been around 1971/2. Unusually some of us were invited to see this redesigned Avo meter and I seem to remember that the demonstration model had the quarter turn locking Rev MC button.

PMM
Old 10th Jan 2018, 1:50 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Yes I've established that the non latching is the norm now. I had only discovered it on a nato Mk6 so just wondered as I hadn't noticed before as reversing the movement is not something I use, so I'd never touched the button really.

But the Nato Mk5 serial number is still on my mind. The stickers over the screw in the battery compartment is still there, so perhaps it is correct. My other Nato Mk5 (which I picked up from Pamphonica) has the usual type of serial numbering that I'd expect.