UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2013, 1:15 pm   #1
kirdford
Retired Dormant Member

Question Pye M201 Microphone Help

I recently inherited a Pye M201 Radiotelephone which I want to use as an airband radio station for an airfield (read as long bit of grass!). I've managed to get it working and can receive transmissions but I don't have a microphone. There's a picture of the back of the machine here:

[img]http://farm8.*****************/7452/9351435560_c313529e64.jpg[/img]

I have all the relevant qualifications/licences to use it but need some help sourcing a microphone. Can anyone help me please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	82210  
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 2:27 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye M201 Microphone Help

I reckon you'll find the M201 is *well* past its CAA type-approval period for any kind of UK airband use.

They're certainly no longer type-approved for private-mobile-radio use (and haven't been for at least the last fifteen years).
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 2:32 pm   #3
kirdford
Retired Dormant Member

Actually I've had it certified for use and have approval from the CAA. Just need to know what mic I need, can you help?
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 2:47 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

As far as I know the microphone from any Pye mobile will work, certainly the earlier ones.
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 2:55 pm   #5
gohunter
Retired Dormant Member

I have one and have sent you a PM with my number to call later.
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 3:08 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdford View Post
Actually I've had it certified for use and have approval from the CAA. Just need to know what mic I need, can you help?
Am surprised it passed the CAA approval!

The microphone usually used with the Olympic series radios (and also with some of the military 'MOULD' stuff I had a lot of experience on) was nicknamed the "shaver" microphone because it has an angled head with a silver grille on the end which looks rather like an electric shaver.

It has a bright orange PTT button, and uses a 3-terminal Electret insert which needs a +10V supply from the radio to operate.

http://highfields-arc.co.uk/construc...cpye/pye03.htm

Note that some of these mics have a timer circuit built into the microphone that limits the PTT operation to something like a minute - after this it reverts to receive even if you have the PTT button pressed - the idea being to stop the channel being jammed if someone sits on the PTT.

Hope that helps.

--G6Tanuki
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 3:48 pm   #7
Restoration73
Nonode

There is a conventional type microphone as well as the shaver version. Usually there is
a small label on the cable indicating FM or AM, the latter usually has an extra capacitor
as a low pass filter. Pye became Philips RCS became Simoco so other brand labels may
work.
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 4:24 pm   #8
kirdford
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all, especially gohunter. Managed to sort this out and should have it all working in a few days. I found a letter from the CAA along the lines of "that's really old but if you get it tested then I guess that's OK". Luckily I managed to find the follow up letter granting approval!
I'm amazed that this was sorted out in a few hours, what a great forum!
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 4:43 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Just as a follow up, I've checked Chris Lorek's book and it gives the connections as:
1. Mic
2. Screen
3. PTT
4. Earphone
5. PTT
Closed Thread