UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2018, 10:30 am   #21
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoration of my Pye LV30

I am pleased to see you are enjoying using your set, it is very satisfying to sit back and enjoy the fruits of a restoration.

I use a hard drive media player to watch period programmes and films, many downloaded from Youtube.

I also have an old PVR full of classic films, it is certainly more enjoyable than watching the modern rubbish that passes for entertainment these days....

Mark
Old 26th Feb 2018, 11:31 am   #22
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Mark,
I agree with you. The actual broadcast TV programs lack of interest to me. Too much violence, stupid reality shows and so on.
I will go to the FNAC shop investigating for old B&W films to pass on my LV30. I like the pre-war II to 1950 period movies, especially the A.Hitckock series.
Take care,
Roger
Old 27th Feb 2018, 2:04 am   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The attachment shows the circuit diagram of the line timebase generator in the Philips Model 2155U. A similar circuit is to found in the once popular models 1458U and 1778U.
The circuit is very similar to the line timbase in the Pye LV30.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips2155U_LTB.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	158301  
Old 27th Feb 2018, 3:32 am   #24
radiograham
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdup View Post
Here more photos of my LV30 showing some steps of the restoration process, like repairing the main resistor bleeder, making a back cardboard, repairing the tv cabinet, modifying the shield to make a better cooling of the PZ30 and PL38 tubes..
Hi Just out of Interest what type of wire did you use for the section of dropper that I can see you have rewound.
Old 27th Feb 2018, 8:28 am   #25
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave,
Yes the line time base looks pretty similar as for the PYE LV30 except the noval PY and PL types. They dont re-invent too much on this

For radiograham hereafter the link to Conrad UK, for the resistance wire I used for my restoration.
https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...=mainSearchBar

In case this link doesn't work, the item no. is :429031-89 resistance wire 28 Ohms/m for 5 meters delivery. I recommend not choosing an higher Ohmic value, cause the wire will be too thin and will not survive for long the heat.
This one seems to support the stress. So good luck foro the rewinding
Hope that help .
Roger
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:31 pm   #26
1100 man
Octode

Hi Roger,
I would also like to say 'well done' on your restoration! I was very impressed with the picture linearity in your screen shot in post 12- a very creditable result!
All the best
Nick
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 8:42 am   #27
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,
It's very rewarding for me receiving compliments from you friends. I should also mention that it is in your country that I found a friend with such a generosity to give me a CRT and tubes to help restoring this set. This person deserve all my warmest thanks.
I have not been as successful here toward french collectionist in my search for a CRT. Most of them, carefully keep the spare they have and sharing is generally not a thing they understand. Too bad.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 10:43 am   #28
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Roger, this is indeed the best forum in the UK
I too was lucky enough to source a 9" tube for my Bush TV12B from a local(ish) forum member a while back.

My set was in a pretty poor state, like yours the CRT was broken. The donor set was an LV30!
It also holds the record of the most filthy chassis I have yet encountered.
It was a very enjoyable restoration, the set turned out very well indeed, see here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=122824

I expect you will be looking for your next project now, but be warned, vintage TV's are addictive, I have more than 60 sets at last count!

Mark
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 1:02 pm   #29
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Mark,
I enjoyed very much reading your thread about your Bush TV restoration, and so, I know now how lucky I was to find my LV30 in so good shape.( despite the 'roast' (is that the correct word?) spread everywhere on the valves shields !
A good CRT and changing all the capacitors and most of the resistors and here we are.
Vintage TV addiction is not for me. I have no place to stock more set. This one will be the first and last vintage in my room and I am happy with it.

Last edited by rogerdup; 2nd Mar 2018 at 1:03 pm. Reason: adding picture
Old 17th Mar 2018, 7:45 am   #30
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

hello, I am back to update this thread. Especially the last message, where I mentioned 'roast' on the chassis instead of rust. Lot of people laughing there
Well, I tried an EF184 on the LV30 V1A and get a very encouraging result.
See photo. Only replaced the first EF80. I will do it for the 2 other of the RF stage.
Nice week end everybody!
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lv30 screen shot-1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	159373  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 8:27 pm   #31
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Update this thread: following the advices, I discarded the use of the EF184 on this set as it gives no advantages vs EF80, but brings more trouble.
Roger
Closed Thread