UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2013, 1:11 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: A question and a warning

Thanks for the reassurance, Al, it's just that I've come across a few people who offer plenty of pomp and wisdom regarding safety- but who turn out to have the most dreadful bodges/shortcuts in their domestic situation! A bit like that old (and rather flippant) adage about never buying the house that belonged to a builder...

Like, I suspect, many on this forum, I've isuffered the odd HT belt or mains tingle in the course of our niche hobby- that's something we incur as informed, consenting grown-ups, it's our responsibility and we learn from it (hopefully). On a few occasions, as an off-duty bystander (so to speak) I've had a really nasty across-the-chest direct mains contact that left me dazed and winded (at ages 11, 22 and 33- is it a numbers thing?) In each of these cases, it was entirely as a result of someone else's negligence or incompetence. Those experiences left me quite determined that no-one should suffer likewise from anything that was my responsibility.

Re. Gezza123's circuit attatchment and quoted capacitor value, a 330nF "X" type might be found fitted between Land N (though 47 or 100nF would be more commonplace in a domestic filtering situation) a 330nF between either side of mains and earth rings (loud!) alarm bells, "Y" rated or not. Again, I'm thinking of a domestic situation, those who know about industrial practice might suggest different guidelines. In a two-wire appliance with metal casework- well, I'd reach for the side-cutters before it went anywhere near a mains outlet.

Postscript; Excellent news, Gerry- here's to no more nasty tingles!

Last edited by turretslug; 5th Sep 2013 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Addendum.
Old 5th Sep 2013, 1:33 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: A question and a warning regarding Earth Leakage

If you're happy I'll close this. The subject can be aired again if similar situations arise.
Closed Thread