UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2013, 6:44 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default When capacitors go bad.

My new "dabble when I'm not busy" toy is a 1950s marine radio [RX has 12-volt-HT valves and a big single-ended class-A transistor for audio output, EF89/6L6/6L6 on the RF side, vibrator and two EZ81s for the HT].

So far I've got the RX to make noises - though both the aerial-coupling windings on the front-end have clearly been used to pass some significant current and are now open-circuit hence the poor thing is as deaf as a deaf thing. Experimental rewinding is clearly needed.

The transmitter - well, I've spotted a major "ooh nasty" - here's the pair of capacitors used to resonate the secondary of the vibrator-transformer: one capacitor has entirely shed its outer casing, the other is split and there's molten wax all over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caps.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	81324  
Old 28th Jun 2013, 8:29 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: When capacitors go bad.

Quote:
one capacitor has entirely shed its outer casing, the other is split and there's molten wax all over it.
To say I have seen worse is a bit of an understatement, check out the photos of this ex Dubilier cap, this went off with such a mighty bang, that a replacement pair of underpants were required

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080487.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	81326   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080488.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	81327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080489.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	81328  
Old 28th Jun 2013, 8:43 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Ah, that looks to be a lovely example of the genre "Noise-Emitting Capacitor".

[Not to be confused with that other device - rather rarely encountered today - the Smell-Emitting Diode].
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:06 pm   #4
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Your capacitor shed its encapsulation but the wound element stayed in place. This one in an Abbey tape deck did the opposite - the cardboard tube remained attached to the leadout but the capacitor itself shot out of the end. A capacitor-emitting capacitor.

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Empty tube.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	81332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Projectile.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	81333  
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:25 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Try a main smoothing cap (bomb) going off in a new Thorn 950 series TV back in the seventies in the DER showroom, Silver Street, Doncaster where I worked. That's a real bang.

PS. It spilt the wooden cabinet.
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:28 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I think it's something they do to distribute seeds and reproduce.

David
Old 29th Jun 2013, 7:01 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Your capacitor shed its encapsulation but the wound element stayed in place. This one in an Abbey tape deck did the opposite - the cardboard tube remained attached to the leadout but the capacitor itself shot out of the end. A capacitor-emitting capacitor. Lucien
*grin* I've had a few spit out their insides: the TCC "Metalmite" ones with the aluminium case crimped to the rubber bungs in the ends go off with quite a bang.

I just did a test of the 'exposed' capacitor shown in my first posting: hooked it across a 450VDC supply and it passed around 35mA - enough for it to get painfully hot after ten seconds!
Old 29th Jun 2013, 7:36 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The wax French are the best as when they overheat through leakage, it's very easy to pull out the guts and restuff.
Old 29th Jun 2013, 7:45 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
The wax French are the best as when they overheat through leakage, it's very easy to pull out the guts and restuff.
Must admit, I've never bothered with restuffing: I prefer functionality over appearance.

A friend some time back was rebuilding an old radio and automatically went through it replacing all the apparently-old-and-suspect capacitors with modern Polyester beasties. Some weeks later he met the radio's previous-owner-but-one who told him "I patiently restuffed all those!".

The radio in question continues to work. There's a "Zen" metaphor in there somewhere I'm sure.
Old 29th Jun 2013, 9:17 pm   #10
Station X

I do restuffing on some sets. I leave a note inside the set to say what's been done.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Jun 2013, 9:42 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Don't do much restuffing on sets through the workshop but there again do not get many French ones'.So in the main G6T you are correct.

Though Graham is also right to leave a note inside.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 6:40 pm   #12
TrevG3OAD
Retired Dormant Member

I've had endless fun replacing all the small tantalum caps in some 1980's test-gear which worked fine until put into unheated storage over a very cold winter. A touch of frost did them a power of no good.
Trev
Old 28th Aug 2013, 7:56 pm   #13
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Try a main smoothing cap (bomb) going off in a new Thorn 950 series TV back in the seventies in the DER showroom, Silver Street, Doncaster where I worked. That's a real bang.

PS. It spilt the wooden cabinet.
I used to work in the Quality Assurance & Accelerated Soak Test Department at Thorn's main centre in Enfield, Middlesex (known by the locals as "Fergusons") in the late 60's to early 70's.

We had many different variants of early colour TV's on long term & accelerated soak testing all on a 24 hour non stop cycle.

Eventually we became imune to jumping out of our skins when caps used to explode, sometimes several sets in short rotation. Then, as a junior, my job was to remove the offending cap/s & debri, fill out a technical sheet to record various data about the item/s and pass it on to the Technical Evaluation department.

Working in there was a nightmare, not because of exploding caps but also the high temperature of the unit & more so because of the static build up.

Once we were given a "VSP" (Very Special Person) set to give a thorough soak test to and after replacing a few faulty parts during it's soak test period, the set was passed to the cabinet fitting section. A hand made, solid teak cabinet was fitted & Sir Jules personally delivered it to 'Buck House'.

Six weeks later a very burned & smoke blackened set was returned back ! Whoops!