UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2013, 9:06 pm   #1
Snappa1
Triode

Default Clansman Headset Connector

I have a number of headsets which need attention to the cable.

Can someone tell me how to dismantle the 7 pin connector, please ?

Can anyone tell me if the chassis mount 7 pin socket is available to purchase anywhere ?

Thanks
Alan
G7DCF
Old 26th Jul 2013, 10:33 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Clansman Headset Connector

There are several different designs of connector which dismantle in different ways. Some of them need a cunning tool to release the internal circlip that holds the twist-lock part to the body of the connector; others involve putting a small metal pin in through a hole, and twisting...

Chassis-mount sockets are available - but they're not cheap!

See http://www.ttabconnectors.com/e-cata...Catalogue.html

Farnell are distributors: http://uk.farnell.com/ab-connectors

(Pages 36 and 37 thereof also shows an example of one such style of connector disassembled. Other connector-manufacturers have different assembly/disassembly styles).

Usually the individual cores of the cable are crimped to the pins: this makes repairing the cables rather difficult.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 26th Jul 2013 at 10:39 am.
Old 26th Jul 2013, 12:12 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

If, as it appears to be, it's a standard Mil-C-26482 connector, it shouldn't be too hard to source one. Pity it's not 10-way, I could help with that!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Jul 2013, 7:35 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

If a new fixed connector isn't too important it may work out cheaper to buy a harness box from somewhere like TAT. The IB2 and CB2 have 2 headset sockets, plus other useful bits on the IB2.
Old 26th Jul 2013, 8:35 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As an indication of the prices, I checked through my Clansman-bits box and came across a "Cordage Assy 5995-99-652-2693" this being the cable for "Headset Microphone 5965-99-620-8320".

The plug is marked "TEE 05 2048 10 07PF 0028". This is a headphones-and-microphone-only lead, with no wiring for a PTT.

The price on the bag - as charged to MoD and VAT-exclusive - is from 1992.

I've used one of these cables to connect an Airlite-62 headset to my PRC320, and another to connect an old Pye Westminster loudspeaker. Note that they are not "twist-lock" plugs, they merely push on - this being a requirement of the original use so if you have to separate yourself from the radio/vehicle harness in a military-grade hurry you don't strangle or garrott yourself with the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headset.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	82303  

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 26th Jul 2013 at 8:53 pm.
Closed Thread