UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2018, 8:56 am   #1
mickyfinn
Hexode

Default Teac A3440 problems

From forum searches there appears to be some members very familiar with this deck. I would be very grateful for any suggestions how to get mine up and running.
First of all I have actually had the rare occasions when most functions have worked fine. These occasions gave me the chance to test it enough to ascertain that it can record and playback that recording and play a tape recorded on another device.

Most of the time I have the following faults......

Rewind only works for a second or two, pressing stop causes it to rewind again for a second or two. FF works fine. With the tape removed from the heads i.e directly from spool to spool Rew and FF work fine? Machine only uses a counter belt and capstan belt, spools have their own motors.
In play after a few seconds the tape stops, this causes slack which makes the switch lever to drop shutting off the capstan motor.
As I said earlier very rarely both play and rewind will work fine but it doesn't last.
When it's behaving the brakes work fine, counter works ,pause in record works, all meters work etc. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Forgot to mention I thoroughly cleaned the tape path and heads with IPA.
Mick
Old 1st Mar 2018, 8:37 am   #2
mickyfinn
Hexode

Default Re: Teac A3440 problems

Appears that all the problems were due to a sticking solenoid on the RH brake.
Mick
Closed Thread