UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2018, 8:59 am   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Rally/Fleamarket Nr Edinburgh

The Cockenzie and Port Seaton club's annual radio rally and fleamarket evening is on Friday the 10th of August 2018.

6pm til 9pm

in the main hall of Port Seaton community centre. This is a very large hall with plenty of space. There are tables with small traders, individuals, clubs selling radio related stuff. In previous years I've found some real bargains. There is usually a valve stall there, and I've seen Hackers in neat condition for under 20 quid. Cables, test gear, components. Lots of radio junk and low prices.

Google Earth shows the location as:

55 degrees 58 minutes 10.59 seconds North, 2 degrees 57 minutes02.01 seconds West.

David
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 11:52 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Rally/Fleamarket Nr Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... in the main hall of Port Seaton community centre.
I assume you are referring to Port Seton Centre, South Seton Park, Port Seton, Prestonpans EH32 0BG as described here.

Unfortunately, I can't make it on this occasion as I'm otherwise engaged.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 12:05 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Yup, that's the place.

It's hidden round some back streets so it's easiest to guide people to a map rather than try to list the turnings for a route. There's a church on the main street by the best way in, it has an odd set of grey-painted wooden slats on its steeple.

David
Old 11th Aug 2018, 8:01 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I just missed a Hacker Helmsman... spotted it just as someone else was buying it for £8. Excellent cosmetic order, too.
There was a large table job, long, medium, VHF and short bands by Ferranti.
A suitcase sized Panasonic portable - their answer to the Zenith transoceanic didn't sell at £20.

I bought a type-N line-stretcher £2, and £35 of valves.

I've always fancied a Helmsman, and it was in the same colour as my Herald. Oh, well. Hope the buyer enjoys it.

David
Old 11th Aug 2018, 9:32 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Oh, I forgot to say.

There was a Bush TR82, an Ever-ready valve portable (queen wotsit?) and at the opposite end of the price and age spectrum an Icom R8500 100kHz to 2000MHz job looking like new (didn't enquire about the price). There was a TS450 for £350 and plenty others I didn't pay much attention to.

David
Old 11th Aug 2018, 10:43 pm   #6
Colinaps
Pentode

Not too bad this year, I went home with less than I brought for once, having flogged a couple of VTVMs, a sig gen, Sky Baby, Astronics PA amplifier and other skip-fillers.

For reasons I don't fully understand, I came away with a Radiac - perhaps subconsciously planning for Armaggeddon!

The Icom 8500 was actually very reasonable, but still more than I could justify without selling something major.

Colin.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 6:23 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

It was Colin T of the Lothians club who bought those VTVMs... can't remember what the third item he got was. One ex ministry VTVM, one Taylor and something else. He saved you having to cart them back to your car

The R8500 was interesting to look at. I've got an old R9000 which covers that range, so it wasn't something I'd have a use for.

I like that little rally, it usually makes a stop-off when I'm on my way for a weekend in Jed and there are usually bargains to be had. £2 for a UHF line-stretcher was good and it's something I actually use!

David