UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2013, 2:13 am   #1
GLENZ32
Hexode

Default Analogue Shutdown 29th Sep in Wellington NZ

At 2:00am this morning I watched analogue TV in Wellington disappear from the airwaves for good. This also affects the lower half of the North Island as well so it wasn't just Wellington that lost it. 1960-2013 RIP.

It was a rather sombre affair but I did setup four vintage sets to watch it happen on and filmed it with the camera for prosperity so will upload it onto YouTube when I get a chance.

Its a pain as I don't have digital TV down stairs in the man cave/workshop....only up stairs..guess I'll have to something about it now.

Cheers
Glen
Old 30th Sep 2013, 5:03 am   #2
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Analogue Shutdown 29th Sep in Wellington NZ

Just 8 weeks to go now for us Northerners too Glen, we finish up on 1 December and that will be the end, full stop! I might rev up the old VHS and record our shutdown for posterity myself, but why 2:00am for heavens sake! Do they run some commemorative shutdown celebration programming?

As an aside, I can see a short-term rush by the scrap metal scavengers, they'll be out there grabbing the old Band I & III antennas, I was just looking at those yesterday while we were out doing the grocery shopping and commented to SWMBO that there were thousands of tons of aluminium to be gathered, all of it free! "take down your old TV aerial for nuffink missus?"

I'll bet that more than few will lose their UHF terrestrial signal when the antenna cable is cut, and I reckon one or two satellite dishes may walk as well!

Cheers

Billy

Last edited by Billy T; 30th Sep 2013 at 5:09 am.
Old 30th Sep 2013, 7:52 am   #3
GLENZ32
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
"take down your old TV aerial for nuffink missus?"
I'll bet that more than few will lose their UHF terrestrial signal when the antenna cable is cut, and I reckon one or two satellite dishes may walk as well!
Yep.. you can be sure of that! And yes why 2am! Why not midnight...guess they know that people are still awake and don't want to shatter their last memories of analogue TV getting shut down half way through a late night movie!

I'll send you an email about things here and the current problem with that Frankenstein TV.

Cheers
Old 30th Sep 2013, 8:33 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Analogue disappeared here back in April, although Cue TV kept running for over a week on channel 5 after the official shutdown! They weren't on Hedgehope, so I suspect someone just forgot.

Here I think it's Rotary who organised a VHF aerial collection, for Child Cancer or someone I think. Mine is still sitting against the workshop, I had plans to chop off the band III bit and cut the band I down for use on FM but don't know if I can be bothered!
Old 30th Sep 2013, 10:37 am   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

May I be allowed to commiserate with you in NZ?

And the loss of all those loverly Band I & III aerials is nearly too much to bear...
Old 1st Oct 2013, 1:05 pm   #6
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

We are a bit slow here in Oz we don't close the last of our analogue T.V. services untill December this year.
Victor.

Last edited by ENGLISH VICTOR; 1st Oct 2013 at 1:06 pm. Reason: Missing word
Closed Thread