UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2008, 7:11 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1966 Bush TR130 x 2 MW/LW 7 transistor sets from Wootton Bassett

Hello again,

I've written up accounts of the repairs to Bush TR130s before but these two both needed a lot of effort to get them working well again so I've done another write-up as the work covered all 7 transistors. These two sets in tan were still on one of the tables at the last Wootton Bassett meet in the afternoon as nobody wanted them, originally one of them was £8 but I bought the pair for £5. Both were in good cosmetic condition, although the chrome on one of them was pitted. One of them just made a constant whooshing noise unaffected by the volume control and the other sort of worked but sounded distorted. I took them over to Ron Bryan yesterday, having done nothing to the first one but the second I'd already fitted 3 new AF126s to replace 2 x AF117s with their screen wires cut and an AF239 (?) perched on top of the leads from the other AF117 - the set still sounded distorted though.

The first one with chassis s/n A464 57377 is a 1966 model with 'Caroline' on the dial and this one just made a whooshing noise and there was no signal. Ron checked the AF117s and one was obviously shorting so that was replaced with an AF126 and the set started to work. One of the other AF117s popped when tapped so that and then the third one were also replaced with AF126s. The set still was making a whooshing noise though, thought to be a noisy transistor so that either had to be its OC71 or OC81D, so we plumped for the OC71, took it out, switched on the set and it still made the noise. That was put back, the OC81D was gently moved to check where its leads were on the board, and its can promptly fell off ! That was duly replaced wth an AC128 and the set then sounded perfect.

The second set with chassis s/n A464 287425 is a much later set but the only difference between it and the other one is its tuning capacitor and the position of its trimmers. This one sounded distorted but otherwise was working well with its new AF126s so Ron went straight to the output pair of OC81s and one was found to be using considerably less current than the other. So both OC81s were replaced with AC128s - these are smaller in girth than the original Mullards so small sleeves were fashionned for them from some thin brass sheet so that they fitted snugly in the heatsinks. The currents used by the new transistors was checked and luckily they were virtually identical. The quiescent current was checked and found to be a bit on the low side but the preset resistor adjuster was found to be caked in paint so any attempt to adjust it would probably have damaged it. A resistor box was tacked onto the board and the mid-point voltage increased to spec just to see if any improvement in sound quality could be heard but there were none so it was left at that. Both sets were then realigned.

I then finished off the sets. The tone pot on the Caroline set wasn't working and was mechanically worn so I replaced it with one from a scrap set. All pots were then cleaned with Servisol 10. Chrome trim and other good cosmetic parts were pinched off scrap sets, everything was cleaned and polished and I managed to assemble two really nice unmarked TR130s, both work well and sound very good as these sets usually do.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush_TR130_X_2_front.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	18664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush_TR130_X_2_back.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	18665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush_TR130_57377_new_3xAF126s+1xAC128.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	18666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush_TR130_287425_new_3xAF126s_2xAC128s.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	18667  
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 1:05 am   #2
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1966 Bush TR130 x 2 MW/LW 7 transistor sets from Wootton Bassett

You did a great job restoring these Howard, they look fantastic! Very retro cool! Great bargains to.

-james-
Old 25th Jul 2008, 8:41 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Thanks James,

The Bush TR130 was the best selling British built radio of all time and they are iconic 1960s transistor radios..... and one can now buy a new retro copy built in China complete with 'Caroline' on its dial.

Howard
Old 25th Jul 2008, 11:31 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Well done, Howard; the cabinet covering looks a lot better than some of these do.

I like the TR130's appearance, even though the VC "drive" is a bit of a faff to deal with.