UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2007, 12:58 pm   #1
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts RT1 dial pointer removal

Inspired by the great job Howard made of his Roberts RT1 recently, I felt inspired at having ago at one of mine.

I want to replace the scratched dial plate with another that I have in excellent condition, also the rubber grommets that support the tuning capacitor have perished and need replacing (the cause of the scratched dial).

To remove the existing dial plate the dial pointer needs removing from the tuning capacitor's spindle but how do I do this without damaging the pointer?

Any suggestions greatfully received!

All the best,

Keith
Old 13th Jul 2007, 2:15 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts RT1 dial pointer removal

Hi Keith.
Grip the collar of the pointer(around the tuning capacitor shaft) with finger and thumb and pull gently. I have never found them to be terribly stiff. If there is any "prising" to be done use something like a lolly stick shaped to fit.
Old 13th Jul 2007, 2:47 pm   #3
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts RT1 dial pointer removal

Hi Tim,

many thanks for your advice, that worked fine with a little help of a match stick!

Best wishes,

Keith
Closed Thread