UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2017, 9:21 pm   #1
thebirdman
Tetrode

Default Swapping the deck in a Hacker Gondolier.

I've had a few problems with a garrard 2025tc in a Hacker Gondolier (mainly around the setting down and lifting on the record in auto mode). As I had come into possession of a Garrard 60 Mk 2, which appears to be a better one, I decided to try swapping them over but have encountered some problems with the power, some of which are probably of my own making. The 2025tc has three leads to the motor, one green and two black. In the picture 1 and 2 of the 2025tc the green and the black with orange tape show 240v, whereas the green and other black show nothing at all. This deck powered well before removal. The 60 wiring is shown in picture 3. From the manual with the deck I presumed the two multi coloured leads were the power feed and connected them to the green and black leads from the player. There is an earth from the motor to the deck. When I turned the player on the trip switch in the garage where I was working blew. I have reconnected the 2025tc and all seems ok with the player. I have swapped decks before with no problems, but am obviously mucking something up here. Please could anyone help, even if you are holding your head in your hands while doing it. The 60 had not been tested first by me, but I was assured by the person I got it from that it ok. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1A.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	135538   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2A.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	135539   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3A.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	135540  
Old 7th Jan 2017, 9:46 pm   #2
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: Swap deck Hacker Gondolier

Hi. The green wire is for earth to the deck plate. The two black wires from the player need to connect to the terminal block on the AT 60 where the two coloured wires are now.
Hope this helps. David.
Old 7th Jan 2017, 11:04 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

As to your Garrard 2025TC, these are quite easy to fix. Just see the "Stickies" at the top of this listing which specifically deals with your fault. What cartridge does the Model 60 have in it?
Old 7th Jan 2017, 11:07 pm   #4
kirstyd
Heptode

if the motors are the same simply unclip the motor and unscrew the switch and then attach them to the replacement deck that way you dont need to touch the wiring
Old 8th Jan 2017, 12:10 am   #5
thebirdman
Tetrode

Thanks David, I'll try that in the morning.
Thanks Edward. I will have a look at the sticky. The cartridge in the 60 is a goldring GS90. It has output, but I need to check how much. I haven't tested it in another deck yet.
With regards to the motors Kirstyd, they are different. The 60 has one of the laboratory balanced types. The 2025tc has a smaller and I think older motor.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 10:29 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge in your 2025TC is 75% likely to be a Sonotone 9TA/HC
This has an excellent performance as one of the best ceramic cartridges ever made. I may need to check out the specification of the quite rare Goldring GS90. It is unlikely to be any better than the Sonotone but may be as good.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 11:53 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Now having checked, the Goldring GS90 does has a good specification. It has a quoted output of 400mV. This looks suspiciously high for a stereo ceramic. But it's possible that it may have a higher output than the Sonotone if it is fully working to spec.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 12:16 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Swapping the deck in a Hacker Gondolier.

The biggest problem with the Sonotone is that the rubber suspension goes very hard and either breaks up or causes the stylus to jump in the grooves. Most are now unserviceable.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Jan 2017, 12:25 pm   #9
thebirdman
Tetrode

Unfortunately the cartridge in the 2025tc isn't a sonotone 9ta. It's an Acos GP96-1, which I think were also fitted in the 2025tc in Hackers at this time. There is output from it but it doesn't produce great sound. I actually have a 9ta extracted from my sisters decca stereo system years ago, but it appears to be dead. Given the prices I have seen for working ones, I would happily get it repaired if that were possible.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 1:21 pm   #10
thebirdman
Tetrode

Thanks David. That's sorted the power. Now the autochange mechanism requires a bit of work to get it moving properly and the idler wheel needs a bit of refacing. I have output from from the cartridge so hopefully soon all will be in place and working.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 1:25 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

As the AT6 has a headshell that will accept any cartridge, unlike the stupidly narrow one on the 2025, I'd go for a new BSR SX11M, which may be a bit expensive, but given that the Gondolier is arguably the best portable record player made, surely it's worth spending a bit of cash on? Just my opinion......
Old 8th Jan 2017, 2:09 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thanks for advising the cartridge in the Garrard 2025TC is an Acos GP96/1, a good cartridge, but not quite as good as the Goldring GS90. Best to check this out first.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 2:50 pm   #13
Audio1950
Dekatron

No wonder I couldn't find any info about the Goldring cartridge - It's a CS90, not GS!

Barry
Old 8th Jan 2017, 4:39 pm   #14
thebirdman
Tetrode

Oops. Sorry Barry, you're right. It is a CS90. A trip to spec savers required I think. I may well go for the SC11M which I believe is still available. I gave a good SC12H, on another player. Would that be ok in a Hacker or would the output be a little high?
Old 8th Jan 2017, 4:40 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes - and at first sight it looks just like a MM body.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 5:49 pm   #16
Audio1950
Dekatron

I think you would cause distortion - the output of the SC12H is too high.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 11:30 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, no it may not be. Ignore that SC12 "H" designation! This (ceramic, not crystal) cartridge only gives around 130/150mV at best.