UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2016, 10:35 am   #1
soulupnorth
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR twin record disco decks.

Hi,
I have acquired a set of disco equipment made by 'Phoenix which house two early BSR record decks. The decks have no numerical identification and just have 'BSR electronic belt driven system' as the identification.
The stylus looks like it is fastened to the arm by as single screw on the top.
Can anyone tell me what the model of BSR deck they are and what the replacement stylus would be for them.
Also what is the type of belt needed. (one of the decks is playing slower than 45rpm!
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to get them up and running for my daughter's 30th birthday do on the 14th January.
all the best, Howard
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 11:38 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: BSR twin record disco decks.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Pictures of the decks and cartridges would help.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 2:07 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

Is the unit anything like this? If so, the decks are the BSR P267.

These are actually very late BSR decks from the 1980s. You will find some mention of them on this forum, but I'm afraid you won't find anyone who has a good word to say for them. They were often fitted with Tetrad cartridges, but we'd need photos to get a definite ID.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAL Phoenix_1.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	134840  
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 4:38 pm   #4
llama
Octode

In my view, the most likely cause of slow running is within the electronics rather than the belt. Is the belt noticeably slipping? Is the torque available similar to the OK deck (a little finger pressure can check)?
There is likely to be an adjustment for each speed through holes - a very narrow screwdriver is needed.
Graham
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 5:12 pm   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

The speed selectors on these often play up, if you give a good squirt of Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner to the speed selector this might bring it back, other than that these were not the best decks made by BSR
Gary
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 6:14 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I initially thought they might have been the earlier, and better, BSR P128 or even MP60 decks. With no pic from OP yet, I think the suggestion in Post#3 probably more likely.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 3:47 am   #7
Clydeuk
Hexode

With these decks I can pretty much say with certainty that if you have speed fluctuation, and particularly if on one speed, then the problem will be dirty contacts on the speed select switch. This was common when these decks were only a couple of years old. I've seen all sorts of bodges including wrapping layers of insulation tape around the platter to try and improve things.

Back in the day you could easily diagnose this problem as the speed would fluctuate when you wiggled the select switch.

Of course due to age there is a possibility that the belt has deteriorated, but this would affect both speeds.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 4:16 pm   #8
soulupnorth
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info, I'll try it on 33 rpm and see if that is running at the correct speed. I forgot to say that the speed selector on the 'slow' deck was broken off and the previous owner has put a separate switch on select TO 45/33 so perhaps that is at fault?

All the best, Howard.
Old 25th Dec 2016, 1:15 am   #9
Clydeuk
Hexode

If it's had a replacement switch fitted, and that is working correctly, then you may find the speed just needs a tweak. There should be 2 skeleton presets on the board where the original speed switch was, one for each speed. You can either do it by ear or download and print a strobe disc to do it right.

Ignore the markings on the edge of the turntable, they were made to look like the more expensive decks where it was a genuine strobe pattern, but on these it's just for show with a red LED shining on it for effect.
Old 26th Dec 2016, 2:31 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

How daft is that? A LED fed from half wave rectified AC is easily capable of use as a real strobe light source!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 2:54 pm   #11
soulupnorth
Retired Dormant Member

What a kerfuffle, I managed to get belt off (there is no hole in the platter) and so far not being able to get a replacement (smallest local shop had was a 158 this belt is smaller - size??) I'm not an electrician so I don't know how to tweek the speed to increase it..

I was advised to try scuffing up the belt with sandpaper - would anyone else recommend that as an option?

If all else fails I'll have to run on one deck :-(
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 3:48 pm   #12
Audio1950
Dekatron

Scuffing the belt with sandpaper will achieve nothing - that only works on rubber idler wheels. You don't need to be an electrician to try to cure this. As Clydeuk has said there are two tiny slotted speed controls under the deck, one for each speed. Unplug the mains supply, take the deck out, and see if adjusting these makes any difference.
Closed Thread