UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2016, 8:32 pm   #41
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: 1930's (?) GM Frigidaire

that looks surprisingly modern for the exterior style of the fridge. The last vintage fridge I looked into the back-of was a hotpoint and it had something that looked like it could inflate tyres.
Old 24th Jan 2016, 11:20 pm   #42
Andrew B
Heptode

No, it won't make a noise if it's leaking.

The system is already under pressure, about 80 psi at room temperature (if there's any gas in it).

It's a pity that you can't attach a manifold gauge set to see what is happening when the system is running, without knowing the pressures is like trying to see if a current is flowing in a circuit without having a meter.

When you do get it fired up, the first indication that it may be doing something useful is the condenser (radiator thing at the front) will get quite hot after a couple of minutes running.

Andrew
Old 25th Jan 2016, 8:37 am   #43
Dazmond
Hexode

Quote:
It's a pity that you can't attach a manifold gauge set to see what is happening when the system is running, without knowing the pressures is like trying to see if a current is flowing in a circuit without having a meter
I think I definitely need to do something, if I can't tell if it's leaking that easily i'm a bit concerned about having it in the house, i've just read on wiki that Freon can cause 'dizziness, loss of concentration, central nervous system depression, and/or cardiac arrhythmia'

Perhaps paying for the time of a refrigeration engineer to check it out beforehand would be a wise move.

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 9:51 am   #44
hansomcommon
Pentode

I certainly woulden`t run the compressor up on reduced volts, the starter winding could just burn out without their being enough "grunt" to spin the motor against load.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 10:30 am   #45
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

In a ventilated space, the amount of R12 in the system will not do you any harm whilst you run it up, if it is leaky it will already be gone.

Don't run it on reduced voltage, it is a relay start motor and it will burn out.

Run it with a fuse in the plug, 10 or 13A as the start current is quite high, for 10 minutes or so. If the condenser on the back gets warm and the evaporator in the ice box gets cold, you have a working fridge.

These were very reliable units, don't run it if you have moved it in the last 2 hours.

Most modern units run on Propane mix as gas charge and will not work if kept at cold temperatures as in garages etc. Such is progress.

You should be able to fit a universal door seal kit, superglue to assemble.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 2:03 pm   #46
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I didn't realise it was a sealed unit, didn't think they made them that long ago.

Peter
Old 25th Jan 2016, 5:16 pm   #47
Andrew B
Heptode

I have to say that I expected to see a "separate" motor/pump unit, stiil, it has 3 chances...

1. BANG and the RCD trips.
2. Runs but doesn't get cold.
3. Purrs quite happily and does what it says on the box.

I remember as a "yoof" that when I had built a project/repaired something I used to plug it all in, ready switched ON and then push the socket switch to ON with a garden cane.

Life's like a box of chocolates.

Andrew
Old 25th Jan 2016, 6:09 pm   #48
Dazmond
Hexode

Thank you all for your advice, i'm going to fire her up this week based on your suggestions - I especially like the garden cane approach, could I couple this with closing my eyes?

I'll definitely give the variac a miss then, I might wedge the temperature probe of my meter in the door seal once it's been on for ten minutes and see what I get, fingers crossed if all is well I hope it will just be a case of cleaning her up and sorting out the electrics, then on to the door seal and exterior.

Someone did mention a thermal cutout too which I think is a sensible idea - i'll look into this.

I'll update this thread with my results, however if you don't hear from me anymore then it didn't go well…just google appliance fires in the York area haha

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 6:32 pm   #49
McMurdo
Dekatron

If you're sure the mains flex and internal wiring is ok, there's a good earth right through to the plug, then there's not alot to go wrong.

I have a compressor here with burnt out motor and it just goes mmmmm click when you plug it in, no explosions or noxious gas clouds

I wonder if that's the original compressor
Old 25th Jan 2016, 7:00 pm   #50
Andrew B
Heptode

The compressors (sealed ones) are great for handyman stuff. Although they are quite low volume, they will happily pump up to 300 psi.
The motor/compressor runs in a bath of lubricant, usually a poly-glycol PAG oil, so if you find a working one, squirrel it away for a later project.

50% of the time it isn't the motor that dies, it's the PTC resistor/starter/relay farkle that's on the side of the compressor.

SWMBO like to see new fridges etc, that's why so many get turfed out.

Andrew
Old 25th Jan 2016, 9:45 pm   #51
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
I think that the compressor is a replacement probably from the 1950s. The trademark Sternetic was registered in 1950.
This Australian advert from 1951 might be of interest.
Yours, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	article23098715-3-001.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	118944  

Last edited by Mr Moose; 25th Jan 2016 at 9:57 pm.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 10:53 pm   #52
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

As far as I understand it, chlorofluorocarbons aren't particularly harmful. They were once widely used in spray cans, and even asthma inhalers until just a few years ago. Their popularity was partly because of their low toxicity. However, releasing an excessive amount of any gas in a confined space can displace oxygen and cause breathing problems, which is what the health warnings seem to refer to. CFCs however are not different to carbon dioxide for example, or butane in this respect. As for fridges, although I've heard of many people breaking the coils in their fridge while de-icing, I've never heard of anyone being harmed by it. The only reports of serious health effects I could find involved clearly very large amounts of CFCs being used in industrial situations. So, I don't worry about the CFCs leaking out of my fridge. Well, not for my health at least. It would still break the fridge!

So, that wouldn't stop me using it. I actually have a fridge containing CFCs from about 1980, and I'm sure many others are still being used. However, I would check the electrical condition of an 80 year old fridge very closely before using it.

Last edited by Okto1984; 25th Jan 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 11:19 pm   #53
McMurdo
Dekatron

Sternetic (Louis Sterne & Co) were apparently 'absorbed' (no pun) by Prestcold in 1971. They also made 'Sternette' retail freezers for ice cream etc (graces guide)
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:34 am   #54
Zelandeth
Heptode

So it was Prestcold! Thought they had been taken over by one of the big names but could never remember for the life of me who!

Best bet at this point is check the wiring and plug it in. It will either work or not. Worst it will do is trip the RCD or breaker.

I find refrigeration kit to be fascinating (you may have guessed), and am watching this tread with great interest.

No real domestic experience, but have helped keep quite a few farm refrigeration units running over the years so I know my way around pretty well, though obviously would call in a qualified engineer if refrigerant handling was needed.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:19 am   #55
Dazmond
Hexode

Quote:
I think that the compressor is a replacement probably from the 1950s. The trademark Sternetic was registered in 1950.
This Australian advert from 1951 might be of interest
You know it's funny you should say that as I did notice some mounting brackets (one pictured in the bottom right corner of the attached pic) that looked as though something else used to fit there, I think you are probably right.

Interesting to see the ad, it certainly does tie up your theory and the evidence.

Many thanks,

Darren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0442.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	118960  
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:27 am   #56
Dazmond
Hexode

Quote:
I find refrigeration kit to be fascinating (you may have guessed), and am watching this tread with great interest.
I'll update this thread as soon as I've plugged her in, I'm quite overwhelmed how much interest this has generated to be honest, and I'm really grateful for everybody's input!

You don't see these things too often so it certainly is interesting, I may even create a small video of the first run so people can hear it too.

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:49 pm   #57
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Prestcold rings a bell, that was our first fridge, it had quite a heavy door and clunky lock. We traded it in for a fiver with a duff unit and I got a replacement sealed unit from a firm called C W Wheelhouse, in Hounslow I think they were, I know I went and picked it up. Still worked out at a lot less than a new fridge.

Peter
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:46 pm   #58
Andrew B
Heptode

Quote:
I may even create a small video of the first run so people can hear it too.
Start the camera before you plug it in so we can MAYBE hear the !!BANG!!

I wonder if in it's original incarnation, if it had a fan directing air to cool the motor, compressor and condenser? That would raise it's efficiency by a measurable amount.

I would seal up the electrical connections and take it outside and treat it to a pressure washer.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew B; 26th Jan 2016 at 9:55 pm.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 10:38 pm   #59
kirstyd
Heptode

That fridge would have had a separate motor and compressor when it was new and would have been very expensive thats probably why its owners decided to have it repaired instead of putting it out in the street and hoping it would disappear like everyone seems to do today .Back in the 70s i worked on lots of these fridges and Frigidaire were considered one of the best very well built and beautiful to look at especially some of the 50s models some had interchangeable Formica panels that slotted into the door [you could change the colour when you decorated your kitchen there were also matching washer dryer dishwasher ECT ] and a built in spirit level so the thing could be perfectly level the main reason for that was not simply for getting it to stand up straight but to protect the motor [the electric motor inside an all in one Frigidaire compressor hangs on springs and if operated while not level would rub against the outer case .there was one of these motors cut in half in our showroom for customers to examine]
Old 9th Feb 2016, 2:54 pm   #60
Dazmond
Hexode

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update this and an apology for the very late reply!

I haven't plugged this in yet as i'm having trouble getting access the garage where it is stored (the owner has gone away)

As soon as I do you'll be the first to know, and yes I will start recording before I plug it in in case there is a bang / explosion / fire / evacuation

My 'Radio Television and Electrical Repairs' book arrived, can't believe I didn't know about this one, very handy to have, thank you to those who suggested I buy this.

Many thanks,

Darren.