UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 2:28 pm   #1
ruudiboyz
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson 374 + Garrard 210?

I am hoping to revive a Ferguson model 374 RG by fitting a nice Garrard RC210 turntable. The radio and amp are working fine and turntable also, problem is i do not know how or if i can connect the 210 to this amp? The picture of the amp shows 2 sockets below the tag that i am assuming are the input for the turntable, problem is the plug on the 210 has a 4 pin plug? If the 2 sockets are correct how do i rewire the cables to plug it in or is the tonearm Stereo and the amp Mono and means it is not compatible? Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4186.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	135657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4189.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	135658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4193.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	135659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4188.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	135660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4190.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	135661  

Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:05 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 374 + Garrard 210?

Your Ferguson 374 is a nice sounding mono Radiogram, but the cartridge and pick up leads (as shown in the photos) are wired for stereo on the Garrard 210.

You will need to bridge the LH and RH channels (blue wires) and join togther the earth screened cable to make just 2 connections for the gram input. Your stereo/mono records will then play safely, but reproduce as Mono of course.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:32 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The changer is wired for stereo, but it looks as though you have only a mono amplifier.

You will need to rewire the changer for mono. Join the two outer shielding wires together, and connect this to whichever of the input sockets is connected to the chassis; then join the two inner cores together and connect this to the other input socket.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:37 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Looks like the tonearm is fitted with a stereo cartridge. Not necessarily a problem - just twist the blue wires together and the earths together and insert into the amp input - I wouldn't wire it all up properly until I had tried that. Keep the volume low to test initially as the main problem you might have is the output from the cartridge might overload the input. Otherwise there is no problem paralleling stereo inputs for a record player - it's done all the time.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 4:06 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The original cartridge in the Ferguson radiogram was a BSR TC8M which gives c.300mV output. It is high unlikely that the (Acos?) stereo cartridge fitted into the 210 tone-arm will exceed that.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 6:53 pm   #6
ruudiboyz
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for response. I will find some connectors and give it a go tomorrow.
Old 9th Jan 2017, 8:32 pm   #7
ruudiboyz
Retired Dormant Member

Tried it tonight but no go, seems to be life from base of tone arm with touch but nothing at the stylus,dead. i think this is a ceramic head? would there be another head/cartridge I could use as I can't seem to find one on eBay and would imagine scarce? Would there be a modern alternative that would fit?
Old 9th Jan 2017, 10:31 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

I'm not surprised that cartridge is dead, it's an Acos GP73, nearly sixty years old. The only alternative seems to be the BSR SC11M, but this may give you considerably less volume.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 12:23 am   #9
Clydeuk
Hexode

Check if you get a buzz when you touch the wires at the cartridge (remove from cartridge first), could be a problem with the arm wiring or headshell contacts.

Not ideal, but if the current deck in the Ferguson is working you could probably fit the (TC8?) cartridge from that. Just use one pair of wires. If it is a TC8 you'll want to limit it's use to mono records or records you're not that bothered about.
Closed Thread