UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2006, 10:03 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default A modern day HUNTS electrolytic

I dont normally go in for housing new parts within old - I'm usually happy to leave the old ones in place and secrete additional parts below chassis
However, when I recently acquired an EKCO AW70, the inside looked very clean and rust free. Seeing the rather out of keeping metal electrolytic above chassis got me thinking about fitting something more in keeping.
It's probably completely wrong for this set, but in my pile of parts for re-stuffing I found an old cardboard HUNTS electrolytic. As the innards refused to come out without major excavation work I set about recreating the case.
1. Take old cap and scan, using left and right views to get over the fact that its printed on a curved surface. Tidy up, but retain original print.
2. Find some cheap ( but sturdy ) cardboard packaging tubes on the web and trim to correct diameter. - Reglue
3. Search local art shop for some brownish-orange paper ( surprisingly hard ! )
4. Print image and stick around tube
5. Make series of V cuts in top edge and fold over ( bit untidy ..but)
6. Glue a coloured disc into the open top
7. Insert modern cap , ready for re-fitting in old clamp

Not perfect, but looks better than a modern one !

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hunt cap 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	3993   Click image for larger version

Name:	hunt cap 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	3994  
Old 30th May 2006, 9:25 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: A modern day HUNTS electrolytic

Did you think to add a note to warn future restorers that it isn't actually made by Hunts so no need to bin it immediately?
Old 30th May 2006, 9:33 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: A modern day HUNTS electrolytic

This is a potential problem with all nicely rebuilt components. It's worth leaving a note in the set giving date and details of restoration.
Closed Thread