UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2007, 1:46 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Pye Fenman II knob brights

I managed to get together a set of knobs for my latest (and last!) Fenman II.

Three have different shades of gold brights and the fourth is silver. All the brights are made from a silver base metal and the gold is just a plated finish (gilt?)

Did a Fenman II ever have silver brights from new, or is my silver one a gold one with the gilt worn off?

Thanks
David
Old 25th Jul 2007, 2:53 pm   #2
RoundyMooney
Tetrode

Default Re: Pye Fenman II knob brights

A local collecter here has one, and his brights are gold.

I had assumed that they had darkened with age, but going by the rest of the radio, which IIRC was quite fresh, maybe they were always a bronzey-gold colour.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 6:47 pm   #3
Steve_Bell
Hexode

My Fenman II has 3 original knobs and the brights are silver - no signs of them having been gold.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 10:16 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I've seen loads of Fenmen over the years and they were all gold although not very dark. Knobs are absolute B's to get off - as you know. I suspect that the gold finish (a form of anodising I imagine) has suffered over the 50 years since these were new.

Well worth the trouble, but as regulars will know I have to admit to a bias here!

And David, whatever do you mean - last? That implies that there is a state of "Too many Fenmen" which I cannot believe.

Regards,
Old 26th Jul 2007, 12:17 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the replies.

I've removed the brights and discovered that the colours are the same on the back, so wear and tear is not a factor.

Interestingly the one that I though was silver, under close inspection, actually has a hint of gold.

I guess the best thing to do is to try and lighten the darker ones by polishing them with brasso . At worst I'll end up with a matching set of silver brights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
And David, whatever do you mean - last? That implies that there is a state of "Too many Fenmen" which I cannot believe.
...Well I certainly mustn't get a fifth

David
Closed Thread