UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2007, 11:34 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Painting Beolit panels.

Hello All,

I have just finished the repairs, such as were needed, to my newly-acquired Beolit 707 and it's working beautifully but what I would really like to do is re-colour the rather dull and faded "Curry" panels as my other one also has them in this colour and, rather than have two similar sets in the same, vile colour, I fancy re-colouring these ones.

My question is this: Would the current, acrylic-based Halfords' car aerosol rattle can stuff be suitable? I don't even want to risk a small sample on the covers as they're better original and scruffy than melted by some hostile solvent!
I have some nice orange that matches the car so I fancy using that, but would it melt my radio?
Old 21st Jul 2007, 1:43 am   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Painting Beolit panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
...but would it melt my radio?
Hi John

I would have thought acrylic based paint, especially that sold for car body work, would be safe to use on your Beolit. I've used acrylic sprays on various types of plastic and so far had no problems with it attacking the surface.

However not all acrylic sprays are equal, and I understand your reluctance to try out a test patch. But its probably the only way you are really going to know for sure whether the specific brand of paint you've chosen is safe or not.

Isn't there an area on the inside of the case that you could carry out a small test on whilst having the thinners ready to remove it should the worst appear to be happening?

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Jul 2007, 9:00 am   #3
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

If it were me I'd make sure the paint was the type used on and suitable for plastic bumpers rather than body panels.

That said..are you sure you want to change the colour? The curry version of the B&O, like the mustard Roberts sets, is very "Period" and it seems a shame for that to go...It might have a knock on affect on future value too. If it really is that tired and faded then I guess you can get away with it though.
Old 21st Jul 2007, 9:12 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello John,

The red Beolit 707 that I recently restored had very dull panels after prolonged scrubbing, so I gave them a coat of Mr. Sheen wax polish, and then a couple of coats of Cockpit Shine and that brought the shiny finish back again.

Howard
Old 21st Jul 2007, 9:27 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi John,

Painting a plastic radio would worry me terribly. Even if you found a paint suitable for plastic and then manged to get a perfect coat on it, I wonder how durable it would be?

As Stewart has said, the colour is very much in keeping with the period and therefore, probably, more desirable?

If you really don't like the colour, why don't you polish it up, sell it and buy another?

David
Old 21st Jul 2007, 10:16 am   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

OK, thanks for the comments guys.

I agree that the colour is very much 'of the period' so, starting with that in mind, got up early this Morning and searched through all of my cleaning products.....

I am now very glad that I didn't paint it!

Even though the panels were discoloured and appeared really grubby, the first coat of foam cleaner took off all the loose dirt and left me with uniform, if rather flat colours. Then I simply squirted some of the silicon spray used for my leather sofa at the panels and wiped with a soft, clean duster.

No way I could paint them now even if I still wanted to with all the silicon about!

See "Success Stories" later today for the results. Wish I'd had some "before" shots now...

Quote:
why don't you polish it up, sell it and buy another?
Simple, it has taken me a long time to find something with the potential to be a really good example and for sensible money, even some of the really expensive ones that sell on eBay (for example) can have irritating but hard to make perfect little flaws such as bent aerials, missing battery tube or scrapes and scratches.

No, this will remain in this colour and I shall learn to like it which gets easier every time I switch it on and have a good listen.
Old 21st Jul 2007, 10:45 am   #7
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Hi this stuff is apparently good for plastics i haven't tried it personally but might be worth a thought
http://www.kolorbond.ltd.uk/main.htm

Mike
Closed Thread