UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2007, 10:42 pm   #1
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Marconi T18DA tuning scale.

Can any forum member provide me with a image of the dial glass for this model please to use as a reference in a repair? Any photo showing readable station names on the dial will do, it doesn't have to be a detailed scan.

The dial glass on the set I have is broken in half in the middle with a wedge of glass missing. I should be able to make a replacement legend on my pc to print out on to clear acetate film or a waterslide transfer sheet. But I need to know what the dial print was on the missing wedge piece.

Any assistance appreciated

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 29th Jun 2007, 8:20 am   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Marconi T18DA

Hi Robert, Attached is a picture of the dial of my T18DA, Hope this is satisfactory .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t18da.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	10529  
Old 29th Jun 2007, 9:41 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Robert, I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom, but before you spend too much time repairing your dial I thought you should know that the colours used for the writing will print almost invisibly onto a clear media, especially the yellow

David
Old 29th Jun 2007, 1:50 pm   #4
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Thanks Mick, your photo will do nicely. Appreciate you taking the time to post it on the forum for me

I know what you mean Dave about the print coming out very light and translucent. But I've made several other dials previously this way and largely through trial and error arrived at acceptable results.

I find 3 or 4, sometimes more, acetate sheets each with the dial printed on them and stacked on top of each other builds up the opaqueness of the print to an acceptable level. Of course the problem is of accurately aligning the sheets so that the print remains sharp and does not blur, then fixing the whole lot to a new piece of glass. It is fiddly and time consuming but it can be done with lots of patience!

Obviously the end results are never as good as an original dial, but in this case it will mean the difference in turning this T18DA back into a useable set again

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread