UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2007, 11:58 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Pye Fenman II tuning cord drive

Hi. I am in the last stages of re-stringing a tuning cord drive on a Pye Fenman II valve radio, but I am stuck in trying to get the other end of the spring back to the lug on the drive drum, as the obstacle is the gear behind the drum. I have tried using forceps to get behind the gear, but this is quite a tricky operation. Has anyone come across this awkward problem ? I know that I could probably make a cord length of 53" up, but I do not have any hook type springs, only the loop type. Even if I removed the drum, it would not make it any easier.
Regards
Mike
Old 15th Jun 2007, 1:36 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Pye Fenman II tuning cord drive

Mike, if you remove the tuning drum and hold it just below the spindle of the tuning cap you can wind the cord as per the circuit diagram, connect the spring and then, gently, ease the drum back onto the tuning cap. The stretch of the spring makes it just possible

FWIW I seem to remember that the direction of the turns around the tuning drive shaft is shown in the wrong direction... but I might be mistaken . It's probably best to follow the diagram first, but if it fouls, then wind it in the other way.

David
Old 15th Jun 2007, 5:53 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Pye Fenman II tuning cord drive

Hi Dave. Many thanks for your reply. I will remove that little spring clip that secures the drive drum to the shaft of the tuning capacitor. I have already got the cord wound around the drum and pulleys (secured by "Blu - Tack"), the main bit was getting the spring back on to the lug of the drum. Not the easiest of cord systems to deal with !
Regards
Mike
Closed Thread