UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2018, 9:09 pm   #1
Alistair D
Nonode

Default JIL SX400 Reset

Follow on from this thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...83#post1017983

The SX400 uses 1 or 2 supercaps for memory backup. Normally about 36 hours. Early versions of the manual do not make clear that once the backup has run out the receiver will not power up correctly until a memory reset is carried out.

To do a reset hinge down the flap, with the JIL logo on it, its at the lower left corner of the front panel. The catch can be quite tight so you may need to use something like a steel ruler to pop it out. As well as various slide switches you will see a recessed reset button. Using a blunt object press the reset within a second or two of powering up. The display should now be showing 26.000 Mhz. Unfortunately you need to repeat this procedure every time the backup 'battery' goes flat.

Perhaps it is just me but I do not find this receiver easy to operate. Having the manual to hand is a must.

Al
Old 18th Feb 2018, 4:45 am   #2
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Default Re: JIL SX400 Reset

The supercap in mine has been replaced with 0.47F, and the memories seem to hold for about a week when DC has been disconnected.

It is a bit disconcerting to power it up and be presented with either a completely blank display or one with elements missing, but a reset always brings things back to normal.

Quite a good scanner. The audio mod at the end of the service manual is worth doing.
Quote:
The catch can be quite tight so you may need to use something like a steel ruler to pop it out
At the top of the small panel, a thin steel ruler, or preferably a finger nail

Last edited by Damien VK3RX; 18th Feb 2018 at 4:53 am.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:27 am   #3
dave_n_t
Hexode

Damien and Al,

Many thanks.

I'll give that a stab when I get a few spare minutes and report back.

dave
Old 18th Feb 2018, 4:16 pm   #4
dave_n_t
Hexode

Thanks, both, for encouraging me

I reset it as advised (12" steel rule opened the door easily) - display now works well. So I downloaded and printed the manual, which let me: adjust the time; enter a freq + scan upwards and downwards from it; stop and resume scanning. The 'wide' and 'narrow' setting seem a little picky...

So far, the 'Scan B' function doesn't seem quite right.

But it's so dead it doesn't find anything using its internal (telescopic) aerial in my eyrie at the top of the house. Have run out of 'play time' now, so will try a better aerial (probably just some random wire lengths) in the week.

Thanks again!

dave
Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:10 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

Glad to hear that it now works after a fashion.

Mine does not have the rod aerial fitted so can't do a comparison. I would expect it to be able to pick up Radio 2, 3, 4 etc on the internal antenna. There is an attenuator switch on the back panel that could set wrongly. Also check that there is continuity from the rod through to the aerial plug.

Al
Old 20th Feb 2018, 4:35 am   #6
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Quote:
So far, the 'Scan B' function doesn't seem quite right.
The manual is a tad confusing.

This works for me:
  • Press the SW-M button
  • press in turn the memory buttons you want in the scan i.e. 2 4 6 8
  • press ENT
  • then press the Scan B button.
  • to stop the scan, press STP T/F

My SX-400 (later model without the internal rod antenna) was deaf on arrival, and I found the solder connection to the antenna socket had come adrift, I guess from people applying too much pressure when screwing on a PL259 to the external antenna socket.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 12:39 pm   #7
dave_n_t
Hexode

Well, I've finally got back to this (Real Life interfered ).

The programming and scanning elements seem to be ok; there doesn't seem to be any wires adrift in the aerial input; and, indeed, it will 'pick up' my sig gen (although probably not as easily as i would have thought).

I'm afraid I'm now out of my depth, so I'm going to resort to Plan A, and offer (FOC) on the appropriate part of the forum.

Many thanks for your time and ideas, though.

dave