UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2017, 9:09 pm   #1
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Another ID Question - Antenna

Can anyone ID the antenna in the attached photo please? It has W1961A stamped on one side, and 1155 N stamped on the other. The elements to the centre of the block are 12.5cm each, which puts it around 570MHz.

I presume it's off an aircraft, but what was it used for?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	136265  
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 2:29 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Another ID Question - Antenna

I wondered but could be way off,that it is from a wave meter.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 8:39 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The mention of "1155" is intriguing.

I know that during testing of various Airborne Interception (AI) and Air-to-Surface-Vessel (ASV) RADARs there were problems with these causing severe interference to the established HF ground-to-air voice-radio comms to the point where a RADAR-test aircraft could not be recalled when an enemy plane appeared in the area because the RADAR was disabling the HF link. [paraphrased from "The Secret War"].

And that a range of 'suppressor' strategies were subsequently used to try and combat this.

Wild Conjecture: Your antenna was designed to be placed so as to get a good belt of UHF RADAR signal and feed it back to some sort of blanking-device fitted in the HF antenna-feed to a R1155 receiver?
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 7:50 am   #4
dsergeant
Octode

Gut feeling is that the coax on that antenna is far too recent to be from R1155 days. It does though look to be test equipment related.
Dave
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 9:46 pm   #5
Sparky67
Heptode

To be honest, I hadn't considered it being part of a wavemeter or other test equipment HB. Good thinking!

The coax is similar to URM57 and the block where the elements are egressing has four through-holes in the corners, which made me think it would have been a secure fitting onto something.

I'm just guessing at RAF really, could be army, navy, or something completely different, of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2768.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	136371  
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 10:48 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

What set me off thinking re a wave meter was those nice Marconi types that covered all bands.Though in separate boxes I add.
Somewhere I have one ,absorption type that is.Nicely made wooden boxes 6 inches square or close.