UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2016, 4:08 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Rexine for Decca radio.

I have a Decca Intercontinental 1125 transistor radio with a very poor cabinet. It was broken and the covering was dirty, worn and torn. Repairing the wooden cabinet is no problem but I need to source some suitable covering material.

I am not concerned that the colour should be exactly the same as the original. Anything between the colour of the of the partially cleaned bit of the top of the cabinet and the lighter colour of my Decca TP75 (see pictures) will be suitable.

My questions:

Is this covering definitely Rexine?

Can anyone recommend a supplier of a suitable covering material? I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has had a good personal experience of sourcing this sort of material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca 1125.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	124043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca TP75.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	124044  
Old 4th May 2016, 5:11 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Rexine for Decca radio.

There is a seller on ebay (uk) who has been there for a long time. They sell paper backed rexine and call it so, I assume it is genuine. Many colours.
I have no personal experience so can't recommend.

There is also a company in Stockport who sell leather and bookbinding materials similar to rexine, can't remember the name but there is a thread in the forum about them, a search under rexine should find them.
Old 4th May 2016, 5:17 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks Sam. The eBay seller doesn't appear to have a suitable colour. Ratchfords have a covering material called Atlantic Bookcloth in a suitable colour. Has anyone used this stuff for this purpose?

http://ratchford.co.uk/product/atlan...kcloth-breeze/

Last edited by ukcol; 4th May 2016 at 5:43 pm.
Old 4th May 2016, 8:46 pm   #4
Ti Pwun
Heptode

I am not referring to the seller mentioned but do be careful when buying 'Rexine' via eBay; some of it bears that name because there is a demand for it but it's often not Rexine at all and is way too thick - the cut corners will never sit flat. Never used any of it myself but I've seen the results. Not pretty.
Old 4th May 2016, 9:10 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the advice.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:56 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Bookcloth is not really suitable, as it's natural cotton that has been stiffened. It couldn't be cleaned like Rexine, and would get pretty filthy after a while. The open weave would attract dust like a magnet. Is there nothing in Ratchfords rexine that is suitable? I buy loads of that to cover record players, and it's excellent. Many of the "rexines" available are actually PVC, which is too thick, too smooth, and looks dreadful!

Barry
Old 7th May 2016, 8:54 am   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks Barry I'll steer of Bookcloth. The problem with Rexine is choice of colours, I may have to go for a completely different colour.
Closed Thread