UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2006, 8:19 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Local Rubbish Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
H[
What about a legal release form absolving the site staff, contractor and local authority against any injury or damage the goods may cause ?
ALAN
Personally, I like the sound of that - since it looks like an "everybody wins" scenario. Trouble is, in my experience, L.A.s don't want all the hassle that this would involve. Which would probably be quite extensive / costly. I suspect that behind "closed doors", they see "recycling" as a Gov't.- imposed nuisance / inconvenience that they have to comply with - and just like a good electrical contact, take the "line of least resistance!"

Al / G8DLH
Old 10th Aug 2006, 8:29 pm   #22
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

I just wish things had not changed,if I needed to repair something you could nearly always get spares at the tip, I hate going to the tip now as I always see things I would like!!!! but of course in todays world I cant have, and I just have to walk away and it hurts
Old 10th Aug 2006, 11:29 pm   #23
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Talking Re: Local Rubbish Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvden View Post
I just wish things had not changed . . I always see things I would like (at the local tip). . . . in todays world I can't have (them), and I just have to walk away and it hurts
[Quote slightly trimmed by G8DLH as (***)]

Exactly! I know just how you feel! There was a time (many moons ago) when I made a point of always visiting the local tip on a Saturday afternoon - there were people all over the place! Over several years (pre-colour era) it kept me going in TVs!

But I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why so many responses have been along the lines they have: "I just wish things had not changed" / "things I would like" (going free at the local tip). . "& I can't have them". It's maddening, infuriating - even downright depressing. But these days that's the way it just happens to be.

There is one bit of good news though - members of this Forum can advertise their "unwanteds" here - which is almost as good as a "tip find"!

Regards,
Al / G8DLH
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:44 am   #24
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8DLH View Post
Ok! So I can see I'm in a minority of one on this, my friends!
Yes, I certainly do agree that it is extremely annoying (to put it mildly) to see something that:
(a) you know you can "do something with";
(b) make your contribution towards re-cycling / greener planet;
(c) have the chance to get 'one in the eye' of a jobsworth!

However, ~ having read the replies ~ I stil feel that my viewpoints have not been logically contradicted!

From Mike Phelan:
"There is nothing wrong here with the resident tip collectors from loading up a pile of stuff and offering it at the next car boot . . ."
Depends on your definition of "wrong". If the Employment Terms and Conditions of the tip employees forbid them from doing this, then obviously it is "wrong".
Al / G8DLH
Wrong for your reasons (a) and (b) above, Al. If the Employment T&Cs disallow this, they are wrong. Only my opinion, of course, which can be wrong itself.
As for (c) I don't think the average jobsworth hell-bent on locating the biggest sledgehammer and smallest nut would ever change.
Old 11th Aug 2006, 4:12 pm   #25
slidertogrid
Octode

I havnt tried to get anything from our local tip for years, before the days of skips at the tip you could go to the edge of the pit where the rubbish was dumped and help yourself, as a kid I had many a good find I still have a bakelite radio and some 78s I found 30 yrs ago, one day there were some blokes rescuing a huge church organ!
up to 5 years ago my mate used to get loads of tvs and videos from Cambridge tip, but I think he was good mates with most of the guys, he used to work on the bins!
I think the official line is "nothing to be removed by the public" so your level of success relies on your powers of pursuation
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:32 pm   #26
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Local Rubbish Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Wrong for your reasons (a) and (b) above, Al. If the Employment T&Cs disallow this, they are wrong. Only my opinion, of course, which can be wrong itself.
As for (c) I don't think the average jobsworth hell-bent on locating the biggest sledgehammer and smallest nut would ever change.
Hmm. I don't want to split hairs with you over this, (and I'm certainly NOT looking for a quarrel) - but I'm getting a little confused here!

Do you mean that there is nothing to physically stop the employees at the tip from taking items from said tip to the next boot sale?
Or that it is morally OK for them to do this?
Or . . .?

Regards,
Al / G8DLH
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:39 pm   #27
Chris_C
Hexode

There are starting to be themes here going well off topic. Please stick to the original posting.

Thank you
Old 12th Aug 2006, 12:43 pm   #28
PJL
Dekatron

The local policy here is that you can buy anything electrical for £2. I think it unlikely that anything of value ends up being buried as they are targeted to maximise recycling.
Old 11th Sep 2006, 10:35 pm   #29
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all.

A close friend of mine who worked at a dump it site in rotherham told me a story, a few years ago a guy came in dumping the usual rubbish grass etc and asked if he could have a tv from the pile that were still left outside (they go into a cabin at the end of the day) the guys working there told him a company collect's the tv's and ship's them off to africa and they get paid £2.50 per tv if he would like the tv he as seen he could have it for £5 he agreed paid his fiver and that was the end of it so they thought. A week later the local council visited asking the staff if they had sold a tv to a member of the public, stating they had been contacted by this guy who said he had been sold a working tv by them that it had worked ok for a few days and then set alight while left in standby unatended in a bedroom and was asking the council what they were going to do about the smoke damaged bedroom no one was sacked and i dont know if it ever went to court but i know they will not sell anyone anything any more even the local tat man who took toys and book's from them to sell at car boot's was told nothing now leaves....

kind regards.

marcus3500.......
Old 11th Sep 2006, 10:42 pm   #30
evingar
Octode

To be honest Marcus, this is just the kind of c**p that infurates me
What the hell does that guy expect if the thing comes off the tip and he pays a fiver for it ? It's that sort of mindless cretin that screws it up for the rest of us -
Old 11th Sep 2006, 10:45 pm   #31
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus 3500 View Post
they had been contacted by this guy who... was asking the council what they were going to do about the smoke damaged bedroom
A disgraceful example of our compensation culture.

What kind of would expect something acquired from a dump to be working and safe anyway?

He should have been told to off and find something more wothwhile to do with his time.

And this was quite possibly a fraudulent claim, there are apparently plenty of people who do this kind of thing for a "living". I see it every day in my profession (e.g. people basically asking me to write medicolegal reports implying that all their dental problems, essentially caused by years of neglect, are actually due to the effects of a minor car accident).

A case of one person spoiling it for everyone

Nick

PS I see Chris has beat me to it - and said virtually everything I was thinking!

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 11th Sep 2006 at 10:56 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2006, 5:01 pm   #32
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

There is a problem with people purchasing electrical goods from the tip, bought about by the compensation culture - it has happened on our tip, and they will now only sell to known traders.

As regards employees taking items to boot sales, it is not quite so simple. In Buckinghamshire, the council grants a license to a company to operate a "waste transfer site" (tip with bins), and the company then runs the tip by sorting and selling scrap, the idea being that the income form sales covers the license and the cost of wages. There is a little more to it than this, as there are bonuses for high levels of recycling, and penalties for incorrectly sorted waste (don't for <insert deity here> sake put your chipboard in the wood skip or whatever).

As the regulations get tighter, it becomes more difficult to sell items to the public at the tip, so you will often find items you have seen at the tip for sale at car boot sales or local antique shops via registered traders. the trader accepts the resale risk, rather than the council or the tip license holder.

Jim.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 8:32 pm   #33
Superhet Si
Pentode

Well if I buy a radio from ebay and it catches fire,what then?
I think I would be to blame for not checking it for safty first.
Its FAR to easy to claim compensation these days.
Old 15th Apr 2007, 9:13 pm   #34
The General
Hexode

I know this is a late addition to this thread, but I was only introduced to the forum a few days ago.
I do have a solution to this problem which works for me.
Many councils will cancel the tip operator's contract after only three serious complaints by members of the public about untidiness, etc. Also, Trading Standards, who normally perform an excellent service, will inspect tips to ensure that only traders are allowed to purchase the "dangerous" electrical items. Coupled with the nanny-state mentality we are forced to live under, the tip operators play things ultra-safe. I'm not condoning their attitude, but they do want to hold onto the contract & also they do want to sell things

Get some business cards made up, stating something like: "so-and-so classic radio restorations" (even use one of the machines you sometimes find in shopping malls or airports) & some letterheaded paper, go to the tip & ask to be put in the book. Most tips keep a list of traders & will put you down as a "repairer".
They are then happy because the rules have been followed & they are absolved from any comeback. I use some left over cards from when I ran my own business a few years ago.

Health & Safety principles are A Good Thing, but anything can be taken too far & so now we have the nanny-state logic where everybody is deemed too stupid to take any personal responsibility for their own well-being
Hope this helps someone. Let's save those radios
Old 16th Apr 2007, 7:18 pm   #35
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good idea I will check out this out with a relative who's in council employ [same dept as Refuse] and works near the tip but has always said that even he can't readily access stuff. Most people on here qualify as traders anyway I would imagine. My advice though-try not to all turn up at once at the same tips waving your credentials-this might get noticed. Dave
Old 16th Apr 2007, 8:27 pm   #36
Ian B
Hexode

At our nearest "Recycling centre" anything that looks worth having is saved by the staff and entered into a local auction. I spotted a 1930's Ultra 25 radiogram there a few weeks ago and enquired of the supervisor if I could buy it. "Not allowed to sell anything from here, mate" he said, "all stuff like that goes to the auction". So I went to the auction a couple of weeks later, and as the only bidder I got it for £5 (good job Sean wasn't there!). It frankly wasn't worth restoring, the cabinet was full of woodworm and so I've stripped it for spares, which enabled me to turn a battery Ultra 22 into a mains one! I just hope it wasn't the last remaining example that I've destroyed.......

Ian Blackbourn
Old 16th Apr 2007, 9:16 pm   #37
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Ian, having a Tip Auction to attend sounds like a good outcome. Not an option at many sites. I've got a feeling the 25 RG may have been quite rare though!
Can you point in the direction of an illustration without going off thread?
I've still got a console Ultra" Panther" [i think] that was in worse condition than you mention and was intercepted on it's way from flooded outside toilet to a tip. Dave
Old 16th Apr 2007, 9:40 pm   #38
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
having a Tip Auction to attend sounds like a good outcome.
Perhaps other local authorities could be persuaded of the wisdom of this approach. As I understand it, an auction would protect them from any liability arising from the sale of the item. This is, after all, a potential extra source of revenue for the authority.

Incidentally, if I were to write to my local authority, it would be useful to be able to refer to other authority/ies who take such an approach.
Old 16th Apr 2007, 9:54 pm   #39
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Local Rubbish Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikevalvesme View Post
Health & Safety principles are A Good Thing, but anything can be taken too far & so now we have the nanny-state logic where everybody is deemed too stupid to take any personal responsibility for their own well-being.
Hope this helps someone. Let's save those radios
Yes - I, for one, am all in favour of "saving those old radios". This I whole-heartedly agree with. Period.

But, your comment, I quote: "personal responsibility for their own well-being" is one thing; what about the "personal responsibilty for another person's well-being?" Am I prepared to take responsibility for that? For example, I retrieve an electrical item from the tip, make changes that I deem are necessary to make it "safe to use", someone else acquires it, & gets hurt using it - because my judgment in making it "safe to use" by that other person was in error. So, should I have taken personal responsibility for their well-being when I passed the item into their hands?

If "yes", then I'm leaving a door open for a lot of potential trouble coming my way.
If "no", (as in I do not let that person acquire it) then I'm accused of supporting the nanny state.

Seems to me to be a no-win situation.

Al / Skywave.
Old 16th Apr 2007, 10:12 pm   #40
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Ok, has strayed enough now..... Thread closed