UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2007, 10:11 am   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Replacing foam on rexine cabinets

As I have done a few of these now, I thought it would be worth offering a few tips. The subject is a Hacker RP18, but is aplicable to many makes and models. Foam was some about 3mm thick that I had in stock, but is available from car trim suppliers.

Taking the front with its grille as an example, remove the grille carefully, and very slowly and carefully remove the rexine; typically this can take nearly half-an-hour. Straighten the grille pins with pliers.

I use a scouring pad to remove the powdered foam on the wood and rexine. As the part of the rexine cannot be cleaned effectively around the edges of the grille, clean it now.

Glue four pieces of foam on the wood, using PVA glue – about 3mm thick. Only use a smear of glue, otherwise it will seep through the thickness of the foam and make hard or sunken spots on the surface.

At first it seems difficult to line up the pins on the grille, so they pass through the rexine and the holes in the wooden cabinet panel; I found the easiest way is first to straighten the pins carefully with pliers, then pass them through just the rexine at first. Then, offer the first few into the holes in the panel. keeping it all fairly level. A gentle push with tweezers on the pins to line them up, then it will all drop in.

Have some drawing pins, bulldog clips and four pieces of rubber sheet about 5 x 5 cm – inner tube/rubber gloves/whatever. A few pieces of MDF as well. If you are doing a few of these, use one piece of MDF the same size as the panel and with a cut-out for the grille. This can be used on the back as well.

Brush glue on the inner surface and towards the outer edges on the corners, then lay the panel on the bench front down, with the MDF under it, and a heavy weight on top to compress the foam.
Pull the edges together and put drawing pins in on the extreme edges. Pass a piece of rubber sheet against each corner at 45 degrees, and pull it tight; hold with bulldog clips.

After the glue has dried, remove the clips and pins, and the weight. You will find that the edges of the rexine will not be flat; lift the edges and brush more PVA into the gaps; bulldog clips will flatten the rexine down then.

Well worth doing this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabfrt1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	8386   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabfrt2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	8387   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabfrt3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	8388   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	8389  
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 11:28 am   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Replacing foam on rexine cabinets

Nice job Mike, well worth the effort, but there cant be many wives that would allow one to use so many of her clothes pegs in one go .
Neil
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 11:37 am   #3
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

a very neat job Mike, but how do you manage to have such a tidy bench top!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 1:10 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvden View Post
a very neat job Mike, but how do you manage to have such a tidy bench top!!!!!!!!
Same question here - was it specially tidied for the photoshoot
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 2:40 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Neil
Not a problem if you are about do a 3000 mile service on her car!

Den and Brian
Confession - I did tidy up the bench top - in its previous state, I was finding it difficult to have enough space to get a Superdrug radio on there, let alone an RP18!
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 3:44 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I wanted to use Mike's method on my RP31sw, which I posted in Success Stories here; https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=13037

As you can read, I was unable to get the rexine off because the gold beading was stuck down so well. Are there any tips on how to, successfully, remove this beading?

Thanks
David
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 3:53 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

David
I have put a reply on that thread.