UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2007, 10:46 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Dial cord for Beolit 400, easy bodge!

Hello everybody,

Most of you will be way ahead of me on this one, but you never know, some may not yet have succumbed to the allure of the Danish "luxury" brand that is B&O.

Mine, a Beolit 400, for which I recently asked for a stringing map in another thread, is probably one of the most commonly encountered models, being simple to put right and cheaper than the AM-equipped versions to buy.

The point:

Having the stringing diagram in front of me, it soon became apparent that this was going to be a breeze, four turns around the pulley atop the tuning module, then across the inside of the idler, around the slave pulley at the far end and so back to the anchor pin in the first pulley.

Easy, right?

Er, even easier actually! The length of the cord, as stated in the trader sheet (Thanks Robert ) and the document supplied in the little envelope inside the set (should have looked there first ) is precisely 82cm. So, do I cut 85ish cm of cord from the reel hanging in the garage and then find those tiny crimping pliers and make the loops for the ends, or do I look for the bodge?

No contest!

There a spare Grundig YB210 in the same garage, many bits already harvested to keep other sets running, but the dial cord is intact and its length, including the loops, is exactly 90cm. The cord is exactly the same, zebra-striped variety and of the same gauge as that in the B&O. Looking good, I'm going to have to slacken the crimp and reduce the length?

Er, no, it's quicker to do the maths and lo! the circumference of the pulley on the Beolit is precisely 8cm!

There are plenty of threads on the pulley, so, one extra turn later, and the Beolit is restrung. Easy as that! Just a splash of varnish to keep the vernier slide held in the correct place, job done, turn the thumbwheels and the position of the cursor's displayed frequency coincides exactly with the tuned frequency at the module!

Would that they were all this easy to string from scratch!